Thursday 15 May 2008

January, February

January saw me still in the throws of over complicating things, but my first trip to Lands End fishery saw me take a third place on the humble maggot from the specimen lake. It was an icy trip down there and the ice on the lake had to be broken before we could fish. The eventual winner was pegged opposite me and he'd landed two fish (for about 35lb) and been smashed up several times before I even had a bite. Eventually a single maggot fished at 14.5m (1.5m further out than I'd fed) saw me land a few lumps for 38lb or so and a couple of pounds of silvers for a 40lb 4oz net.

Other matches at Bullock Farm, Bitterwell and Huntstrete saw me fail to get in the frame, a combination of poor draws and poor tactical selection.

February saw me continual to struggle, one match sticks in mind, an open on the Kennet and Avon canal, I drew the end peg at Ferry Lane, filled with confidence a got to the peg and saw that the resident of the narrow boat I was pegged adjacent to, was clearing the towpath of dog shit. Trouble is she was chucking it into the canal - right into my peg!!

The couple and their kids then proceeded to make a row on the boat for the first couple of hours of the match, even through this I caught netable skimmers and roach on punch, until one of the kids emptied a bowl of soapy water over the side and it drifted right through my punch line.

This just about killed it, I had fed another line with B&J, this produced one small chub, in the last hour I had a couple of decent roach tight across on caster, but fell a couple of pounds short of framing, may have been a different story had the boat dwellers been out for the day!!

No comments: