Wednesday 7 December 2011

Plantation, Carps AC Wednesday, Match 7th December 2011

I reckon I must be suffering from early onset senility, I managed to book into two matches today, a few weeks back I booked into this one and last week into Tony's match on Avalon - I went with my conscience and let Tony down as I'd booked in last with him. With hindsight that was the wrong decision, as todays match cost £22, broken down as a £6 peg fee, £5 for breakfast and £1 for Carps AC. That left £10 for the pools and with 16 fishing, £50 / £ 30 breakdown for the match and silvers winners/second. I'd have rather seen the £5 breakfast money paid out on sections.

Once the breakfast was done, I'd got well wrapped up against the windy conditions and then drew peg 4 - for the last 3 months, this bank and row of pegs has been the one to draw, winning every match, today with the wind in our faces, with the occasional gust from left to right and then an equal and opposite reaction back the other way, ensured that long time form, was blown away.

I had venue expert and Plantations Booking Agent, Darren 'Noddy' Vowles on peg 5 for company, so I was expecting a lesson in plastic thing chucking and to be well beaten off the next Peg at least in the overall. The strength of the wind saw me set up a rod and plastic thing (lobotomy impending at this rate), a waggler and two topkits, although 11m was going to be the comfortable limit, due to the swirling wind. One Carpa Chimp on 0.14 to a 0.12 hooklength and a MW Diamond with the same line.

Given the choice, I'd have taken 33, its a good silvers peg and given the equal payout in this match, I fancied it for roach and perch on the caster - Colin Golding drew and I'm sure he would have fished his soft pellet over soft pellet feed approach.

It was a slow start and 3 /4 hour passed before I had a bite on 4mm devils spawn, which saw a carp grace the net, I'd been feeding a close line with caster expecting to, if not plunder, eke out a few silvers. This didn't happen, not any where in the peg, all match, a total silvers blank. The wind made things tricky and swapping between the pole line and (after I'd ripped the plastic thing off and thrown it a long way away) straight lead
saw me land 5 carp in total, on devils spawn, maggot and bread. I managed to lose 5 fish, two on the lead and three on the pole.

I'm happy that the two lead fish were fouled and so be it, but on the pole, I hooked a real big fish, it just kept swimming (no real speed), initially it came in like a skimmer, the once I'd got it close enough to break down to the topkit, it woke up. Still slow, but it swam off and kept going until the 0.12 hooklength parted. I put a new hooklength on and the next drop in hooked a fish, which took the hook and left me with a curly bit of line - I've had a couple of instances of this now, since I started using the pyroti hooktyer. That seemed to kill the poleline.


Now onto my near neighbour on peg 5, venue expert, Darren 'Noddy' Vowles, we had some good banter during the match, but this obviously affected Noddy as his lesson to me failed to materialise, in fact it was an anti-lesson as he failed to weigh in (He did claim one carp, but slipped it back on the all out whistle, so was a dismal DNW). Can't wait to have a wasted peg next to me again

I told 'Noddy' that we (me and my missus) were off to the local curryhouse on Xmas day - he fancied that, but I got a text from him saying Mrs Noddy wasn't imprressed. He also asked me to point out he holds the lake record - but surely the only peg on the stock pond doesn't count'

The real venue expert won, with all the weights coming from different pegs to those that have been dominating  the last few weeks, about time those fish started moving - just a shame it was today.


1) Rod Wotton 85.06 (peg 25)
2) John Smith 48.09 (peg 28)
3) John Dursley 37.04 (peg 31)
4) Mike Nicholls 31.15 (peg 38)
5) Chris Fox 31.00 (peg 4)
6) John Bennett 23.00 (peg 29)

Silvers

1) A Gard 9.06 peg 18
2  J Dursley 8.13






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

plenty of moans about Carps 'Christmas Matches' on the blogs of late but they still seem to get decent turnouts

Chris Fox said...

I would call it an opinion, rather than a moan.

Tim Ford said...

Not a moan, and not an opinion, but a question.. How can this be a Xmas match if there are no prizes?