Wednesday 16 October 2013

Viaduct Silvers Open, Cary. Wednesday 16th October 2013

In preparation for two 50+ peg silvers matches at Viaduct this weekend coming, the all winners final on Saturday and the 2nd round of the silvers league on Sunday, I decided to fish this and after traveling down with convivial tackle dealer, Tony Rixon, I managed to pull out another peg that I wouldn't have chosen - 85.  What makes it worse is that Matt Tomes pulled 78, the peg he won the 1st round of the silvers from and Tony managed to back 102, one away from where he took 4th place in the silvers league - where do you sell your soul to draw like that!!!

Still, they may have moved and the Bridge Troll, Bobby G, managed 2nd in the silvers league from 86, so hopefully some fish in the area. I set up a cage feeder, in case the weather or more specifically the wind got worse, a rig with a pencil float to fish short, a NG Gimp to fish at 11m and a MW F1 slim to fish a double bulk at 11m, as I had time before the all in, I also set up a rig to fish the margin.

4 big balls of groundbait with caster and a little chopped worm went in at 11m, loose fed caster short, starting short, I had a couple of perch and roach, but the first half an hour soon went by with little to show for it.  Shipping out a worm head to 11m resulted in...... nothing, I was expecting a few bites, there were some pin prick skimmer bubbles out by the float.  A switch to maggot saw a few skimmers in the net, but mainly small ones, 2-3oz with a couple of 12oz fish.  The line was very slow, as was the short line, so a look down the margin was in order, I'd been feeding casters with a catty at about 10m towards 84, this produced a couple of perch and roach, but not the tench or big perch I wanted.

I decided to try the feeder and had clipped it up at 30 turns, first put in, the tip curled round I lifted into what looked like a skimmer bite and carp no1 swam off towards the aerator, relieving the rig of its hook.  Another hook tied on and back out, I tried the feeder for half an hour and missed 3 roach bites, so gave it up as a bad job.

Back on the pole and a large worm section over the 11m line brought a 31/2lb bream to the net, but it appeared to be a lonesome fish, as no more of this stamp were forthcoming. I swapped between the 11m and short line, feeding groundbait on both, taking odd fish, roach, skimmers, chub, eel, ruffe and perch, so a wide variety, but little quality until I had a big hybrid and then 3 skimmers on the short line.  By now the 11m line had the tell tale sign of carp, big circular patches of bubbles erupting over it, so I left it alone and fished out the short line until the end of the match.

It was a close match and my 30 minutes on the feeder might have cost me, as my fish weighed 26.07 for second in section, although I did get the section money by default, as Matt was joint 3rd..  For the 2nd match running, not too much carp trouble, will that continue? I hope so.

1) Steve Kedge 31.10 peg 97
2) Tony Rixon 31.06 peg 102
=3) Gary Etheridge 30.06 peg 105
=3) Matt Tomes 30.06 peg 78
5) Keith Mashedar 29.07 peg 99
6) Chris Fox 26.07 peg 85

No comments: