Saturday 18 August 2018

Viaduct Costcutter, Thursday 16th August 2018

Had been moving some stuff around on Wednesday and hurt my back, so dosed up on pain killers I thought it would be a good opportunity to have a real good go with my new waggler rods, as there was no way I would be swinging 16m (or more) of carbon around.

Into the draw tin and out comes 126, not a peg I'd particularly have chosen, but it should be worth a few fish.  If I had come prepared, I might have had a days silvers fishing, but with 8mm pellets, 8mm meat and not too much else, I thought I'd fish the peg positively with the 8mm pellets and see what happened.

Two wagglers set up, both with Middy Fat Boy wagglers, as like many fisheries, the fish here have wised up (most days) to a dumpy pellet waggler, one the smallest size to fish shallow and one a bit bigger to fish full depth. I did set up a meat rig for 5m, a pellet rig at 11m and a margin rig, but with 125 and 127 in, there wasn't much margin to play with.

Gave the meat short 10 minutes hoping for a mug fish, but not so much as a tremor on the bristle.  Out with the waggler and I had 3 fish in the first hour, much of the lake was fishing slow, although there was a couple of as well anglers catching on the opposite bank.

 The next four hours were spent trying all lines and baits, to no avail, I could not get a bite, I tried the depth waggler, the pole short, at 11m, deep and shallow, I have only ever experienced a day like it once or twice at the most, on Cambell.  At 1600, with an hour to go I had another on the waggler, with another 35 minutes later, I was surprised I couldn't even get liners on the waggler, as the guy on the next peg was catching on the lead.  I tipped back about 35lb and was somewhat bemused by the total lack of fish.

On a sour note, I witnessed someone fishing an inline lead and never saw it move on the line once, I wasn't the only one, another of the regulars told me he'd seen someone doing it (different angler than I saw) I think they were both staying in the holiday lodges, no excuses though, Steve went through the rules at the start, including the free running lead one.  Leaves a nasty taste in the mouth when people have to resort to cheating - it didn't do them any good, but that's not the point.

Didn't get the results, I'm sure Matt has posted them on the Viaduct FB page.

No comments: