Monday 8 June 2020

Acorn Open, Saturday 8th June 2020

Back to this popular fishery, I popped into Cadbury Angling and bought a couple of new keepnets before the start, two of my Drennan nets have broken rings and they are poking into the net, so no good for the fish, time for the bin....

I was surprised by how chilly it felt and was rather hopeful of a draw with the wind off my back, but no, peg 19 with it smack in the kisser, at least with Faiersy on 17 I would have someone to talk to.... or shout at with the wind and motorway noise.  Quite coincidentally, these were the two pegs we sat on two Saturdays ago when I had my first trip out after the lockdown, we both clicked 200lb that day, I wasn't convinced we'd be catching that today.

I'd spoken to Paul on the phone the afternoon before and he was watching Walshy catching plenty of fish on corn, so instead of sticking to pellets and worms, I also had corn.  I even set up a method rod in case the wind got too bad (and Fairsey had one set up, so just in case he started catching on it).

By the all in, I was feeling pretty cold and was wondering why I hadn't brought my winter clothing, but starting across, I had a fish about 5lb first put in, then a couple more, whilst many were potting bait or not going across, I can't resist the catapult, well that brought the ducks, not just one or two, as I don't mind a pair of ducks in amongst the bait, I think the fish are confident if the ducks are there.  This was 4 adults and 8 large ducklings.... 

Well I lost the plot a bit trying to get rid of them and by the time they'd gone the bites had dried up, I was cold and starting to wonder why I was sat in the tooth of that wind, not getting bites.  I tried to force the peg, across, short lines margin, all of them buggered up and I just wasn't enjoying it, I went through the motions, without any conviction. 

I could see Bob Gullick catching over on 34, I saw him swap a hooklength and I was sure he'd be down on 0.12 and a 20 hook, Fairsey got off his box and set up another rig, he started catching down the edge on 0.11, it was a day where my profligacy and pure apathy were to cost me, but I was cold, my back hurt and I wasn't fussed.

I packed up slowly and tidily with 30 minutes to go, no need to bother the scalesman, I have a got a load of 6mm Coppen pellets that were floating, I'm wondering if something has happened to them, as they never used to float!  Maybe they don't age too well.

Results below, well done Bob, a bit of finesse paid off - I must learn some restraint.  I picked up a kebab on the way home, plenty of chilli sauce and that was the best bit of the day, I was still cold and with a wind burnt face and a combination of glad it was over and pissed off to have got it so badly wrong.  

Sunday I was disappointed not to have an opportunity to fish a match, I wanted to get back down there ASAP and put things right, but that'll have to wait, not sure when I am next down there.  Viaduct Sat & Sun next weekend, so some 6mm pellets that don't float to get and lets hope the weather is more June-like!!!




No comments: