Sunday 24 October 2021

Darby's Pairs, Ivy House, Sunday 24th October 2021

 Ivy House for a pairs match organised by Jon Darby, one of the pair on the Old Match Lake and Willow, the other on the canals.  Fishing with Tony Rixon, we'd already drawn straws putting me on the canals, and Tony on the other lakes.

Tony drew peg 2, which can be OK and me on 48, not the peg of choice on the canal, but I'd usually back myself to catch a few off any peg on Kingfisher (the canal I was on), although the competition was tough.

Only a pole, so a few rigs, one for across with banded pellet, too deep really on the far side, I couldn't find any little shelf or area that was shallower.  A rig to fish caster short, another for the edge and two for down the track, one with a bulk and one light rig strung out.

I'm not going waffle on, I struggled, the worst day I have ever had on that lake, I had one bite across, whilst peg 49 had a few, pegs 47 and 46 were also struggling.  I tried short and that was OK if I had wanted to catch roach, but there was little else feeding there.

By now peg 49 had come down his track and was catching, whilst my float remained absolutely stationary.   I tried a line with negative feeding and another positive, neither worked, I was running out of ideas, this may well have been one of those days when I might have been better served just sitting on one line waiting for a bite, but I find that pretty much impossible to do, especially when others are catching.


It didn't even get good at the end, battered off the next peg (49) who weighed 70lb to my 17lb, I was close to being last in the whole match and I still have no idea what I could have done to change it, the lake was won with over a ton from the the area I would have chosen.  

I didn't get the result sheets at the end, as we left with both seats in the van empty handed...  Well done to the winning pairs and onto the the next match!

No comments: