Sunday 14 July 2013

Avon Angling Open, Sedges, Sunday 14th July 2013

Another hot day with carp cruising and not looking interested in feeding.  I would have preferred a draw where there was some ripple, but it wasn't to be, peg 9 which was flat calm with cruising fish out of pole range.

I set up two waggler rods, one to fish shallow and one at full depth with no shot down the line. Neither of these produced a bite, the fish doing their disappearing act as soon as the float hit the water. I tried every trick I know, 4" deep and firing pellet at the float, 4' deep with all but the last 6" of line greased, to give a very slow sink to the pellet, and every depth in between.

The pole rigs were a shallow/stalking rig -  this produced nothing.  A paste rig for the margin, this again didn't see anything resembling a bite and a full depth paste rig to fish over the pellet line at 13m.  This saw me hook a lump that shed the hook after 5 mins, I think it was hooked under the chin, that was its only action. A rig to fish pellet on the deck, this produced two fish, a solitary skimmer in the first half an hour and then a carp about 6lb at 13.45. Finally a meat rig for 6m, this was as actionless as all the other lines, until the last hour, which saw two carp and a run of skimmers netted to take my final tally to 38.11, a resounding nowhere (or 8th if that sounds better) on the day, but the best weight from peg 5 - peg 10, if only the other 5 hours had produced 30lb an hour!!!! 

No surprise for me to be in the worst area, not sure why this seems to be a running theme on matches run by Tony Rixon.  That's not any sort of slur on someone who has helped me out and works hard organising the matches, but it does seem to be a recurring nightmare, quite how to shake it off, apart from not fish his matches, I'm not sure.

By the magic of the internet, save and copy, paste etc. I've nicked the results from Mike Nicholl's blog 


No comments: