Saturday 13 July 2013

Clevedon Saturday Series, Plantation Horseshoe, Sat 13th July 2013

I didn't fish in the week, I decided to go to Landsend and sit behind Tony Rixon on Wednesday, to try and work out why I seem to fair so dismally there.  I couldn't see much difference in my rigs or feeding,  but confidence in the fish coming to the pellet was a big difference, Tony persevered, he just knew they would come and they did. I would have changed to caster/soft pellet/paste etc. and missed out on the fish Tony caught.  An important lesson leant, now I have to put it into practice.

Back to today, I wasn't too confident the lake would fish well due to the heat, plenty of carp moving round, but more interested in sunbathing than feeding by the look of them.  The fishing times might help,  13.45-19.45, 15 fishing today so plenty of room.  I drew peg 8 which today was the first over the bridge on the left, no island or bar in front of me, that might not help, but I did have a rush lined end bank to target.

I bought a new pole this week, just for carp fishing, a Garbolino G Max Power, so I had to try it out today, as I had only brought hard pellet, meat and paste, so carp were the target.  The first rig to be made up was a long line mugging rig, as there were plenty of cruisers. A paste rig, and 2 MW slims, one for meat and one for banded pellet.

On the all in I went straight out on the mugging rig and all the cruisers disappeared, put the rig away and they come back...... Repeat this several times throughout the match, I managed to get one fish on this rig, so no more about it.  The banded pellet and meat lines were worse, not so much as a bite between them.

This left the paste line to the end bank at 13m, which did produce a couple of small fish, which had  made every effort to get in amongst the reeds, so a good test of the new pole in dragging them out.  The float wasn't right for this, so I set up another rig with a blob to fish the paste tight to the rushes, which produced an immediate fish in the net.  Then a quiet spell, before another couple of fish, one of them a better size about 9lb.  I then foul hooked a big fish that took off towards the island to my right and tried to get round the back of it, I wondered what was going to break first, but the pole handled it fine and the 0.19 powerline was the weakest link.

This led to another quiet spell, so a look round the other lines and they produced as already said, nothing. Back on the paste and an odd fish fell to it, but it  was a long wait between fish, one took me into the reeds and slipped the hook into them.

It was with an hour to go that the cruisers looked more likely to feed and I did get one slapping the mugging rig, as previously mentioned, but they soon melted away again after that.  I had one more take me into the reeds before the end, another hook firmly fixed into the reeds, although with the elastic pulled to the point I couldn't believe something wasn't breaking, it all came flying back with the rig and hook intact.

I wasn't sure what had been caught round the lake, at the all out I had 33lb on my clicker and assumed that it wouldn't be enough to do any good, but it turned out that most found it hard and my hard won fish were enough for third and I wasn't too far out with the clicker as they went 34.12  So not too bad a day and I'm pleased with the new pole, it feels more powerful than the Tournament.

1. Mark Broomsgrove 59.08
2 Andy Hembrow 41.00
3. Chris Fox 34.12
4. Kev Perry 31.08
=5. Rod Wootton 28.08
=5. Rich Heatly 28.08

No comments: