Friday 2 April 2021

Viaduct Open, Good Friday, 2nd April 2021

 Its a shame, but it going to be difficult to get onto Viaduct matches going forwards, as matches are being restricted to Campbell lake, so 21 peggers,  I got onto a couple over Easter, this one being the first, paid up and Matt drew me 125, I wasn't going to complain, as it can throw up some big carp on the short line and does have a decent history for silvers.

A cold easterly wind was putting a ripple on the water and was likely to make waggler fishing a non starter, so pole and bomb would be the most likely ways to catch.  I set up a rig with a light float, spread 11's (it was given to me by Dave Brittain and I have caught plenty of silvers on it) and 0.11 hooklength and a 18 LWG with a band.  A MW Steady with strung 11's to fish meat short, a Malman Roob for pellets long.

It was a match where I started well, toss potting 4mm pellets , with a 6mm in the band, at 11m, 2.5 hours in I had 5 carp and 20lb of skimmers, then the sub came out and the ripple stopped, Ben on 126 had been pinging pellets at 16m and I think he stole my fish (the carp), I should have changed from the tosspot to the catapult.  I struggled to get a bite in the sunshine and flat calm, whilst Ben had a run of fish chucking his bomb over the pole line.

I decided to sit it out on meat short, had another carp and a another 10lb of skimmers on this, but all to no avail as I ended up halfway in the match and one out of the money in the silvers, obviously a bit ring rusty, as I suspect the difference was the feeding.




 

No comments: