Saturday 10 July 2021

Ivy House Open, Saturday 10th July 2021

 An open spread over Kingfisher and the old match lake, fancied Kingfisher, but drew OML - not much changes does it.....

Anyway, peg 13 for me, can't reach the island with 16m and that's where you need to be to catch consistently.  So I had to set up a method and a waggler, the pole was set up to try and encourage them short (and long, but 13 is the narrowest peg on the causeway, so is at least a single breakdown of the pole for shipping).

I really couldn't persuade the fish to come off the island and the waggler wasn't much use, so I picked up a method rod, I had one on this and the fish were rolling along the island and over the method, but could I catch on it, I had one and that was it, tried switching to maggots, that saw constant silvers bites, wafters, bigger pellets, smaller pellets and dropping it slightly short, all to no avail.

I fed a line with some 4mm pellets, GB and dead maggots at 11m, just a catch all line, this did produce a few skimmers, but I'd not really come to fish for silvers - unless they wanted to eat hard pellets, which today they didn't - so I spent the rest of the match fishing the waggler and that started to produce a few fish, maybe stopping several times to look on the 5m line and in the margin cost me winning the lake, as I never had a fish from either line.

Ended with 48lb for 3rd on the lake, missing out by 5lb for a lake win, the best weights came from Kingfisher, pretty certain I was never going to compete with those on the day, but should have won the lake, oh well, upwards and onwards.




No comments: