Monday 5 July 2021

Tony Rixon's Float Only R3, Landsend, Sunday 4th July 2021

 So, back to my bittersweet venue, I just love its location, its peace and tranquillity, I get frustrated with the bankside vegetation and I also seem to struggle on here, unless I fish for silvers - no point in fishing for them this match, as I have a section second and my disaster on the squircle, at least I can drop that one!!   A section win is a must.

Into the draw tin first and 18 on the match lake for me, next to venue regular Russ Peck and I could keep on eye on Tony, as he was diagonally opposite through the gap in the islands, on peg 5.  This lake has seen a stocking of small tench, F1's and crucians, but I felt to catch enough I'd have to focus on the carp.

Rigs set up for meat short, pellets down the track, margin and across to the island, where there was a nice depth of around 18".  Started short on meat, all that produced was some missed bites and some little bars of soap (tench), harder to handle than eels.....  I stuck with it switching sides and changing to pellet, whilst priming over to the island.  That produced a 3lb skimmer and a couple more tench, but was going nowhere fast, I switched to fishing at 16m to the point of the island.  I had a couple of carp, fishing a banded 6mm pellet over 6mm pellet.  I kept at it, then had 4 carp in four put ins, kiss of death then as Russ on 19, said "You've got them there now", that was it, they disappeared.

I came back on the short line and upped the feed, had a carp and indications that there were others in the peg, but I never felt they were really interested in feeding, just coming to the feed without eating.  By now I had my earbuds in listening to Max winning the GP.  The weather had turned, it was pissing down and it certainly didn't feel like July.

The rain did ease off and stop, I had kept a few pellets going in over to the island and had a good last hour across there and I thought I had about 85lb, turned out with my few 'accidentals' I had 95.11, which was 4th on the lake, but more importantly, the section win.  Got to miss the next round, but I can have a stand in for one match thankfully.






No comments: