Sunday 24 July 2011

Avon Angling open, Shiplate Farm, Sunday 24th July 2011

First time at this venue, I was told that two lakes were in, both canal types, Hawthorn, which apparently houses plenty of small carp and Westpool which is home to carp and plenty of bream. I must admit I fancied a draw on Westpool, big bream and skimmers sounded just the job.

First into the draw container and I had Westpool, No1 aim achieved, sadly it wasn't an end peg which I assumed would be best. A walk around the main lake to Westpool was then the only way to get to peg 4. Tony was paying sections of 5, overall and one in the silvers, surely some coin was available?

I set up three rigs, a MW cane topped diamond on 0.16 to a 0.14 hooklength with a 16 63-13, to fish the deepest channel at approx 6-7m. A MW slim power on 0.18 with a 0.16 hooklength, finished off with a 18 B960 for 15m, up the far shelf. Completing the set up was a Sensas Pencil on 0.12, with a 0.08 hooklength and a 22 63-13.
b
If I was to believe Tony's blog, groundbait might be the way to go, so on the all in, I put 4 big jaffas of GB packed with CW & caster and a few dead maggots into the deepest part of the peg. I fired a few maggots to the far shelf and flicked a few casters in at topkit range.

3 Skimmers from the deep channel, nothing from the far shelf and a conceren that this was going to be a poor day was the result of the first hour, I wasn't alone, but John Bradford was making the most of his end peg by filling his net with carp ( yep, carp, no typo!!).

On the hour mark, I retopped the middle line with GB, but it was slow going. I had a look into the near line (topkit) and started to catch small skimmers, roach & rudd
before a decent skimmer (nearly a bream!!) was netted. Everytime I looked to my left I could see John Bradofrds elastic streaming out, so i decided to stick with silvers. Alternating between the topkit and a line at 6.5m, kept skimmers and the odd roach and rudd ( + a 0.3 oz perch) coming. On peg 5 , Sensas Thyers team mate Nick Harvey started to fish short and he also had some decent skimmers, + one of them big old black boys - I'm glad he didn't folow suite earlier. as he manmaged 2nd in silvers.

With just over half an hour to go the skimmer bites had dried up, so I went over to the far shelf and had a carp a chuck for 5 put ins.

The scales arrived from Hawthorn Lake with 61.13 to beat, I knew I couldn't match that, but was quietly confident that I had the silvers in the bag, for my hatrick of silvers wins. 32.08 was enough to do that and 17.00 of carp taken in the last half hour gave me my 5 peg section as well ( Although with the default, I only took the silvers money).

An interesting venue, tidily kept, not too far from home and it will surely mature as time goes by.

1) John Bradford 70.04 peg 10(W)
2) Tim Ford 61.13 peg 1 (H) How does he keep drawing corner/end pegs??
3) Adrian Jeffery 61.11 peg 9 (W)
4) Rod Wootton 49.11 peg 3 (H)
5) Dean Malin 49.09 Peg 2 (H)
6) Chris Fox 49.08 peg 4 (W)


Silvers

1) Chris Fox 32.08 peg 4 (W)
2) Nick Harvey 21.14 peg 5 (W)
3) Adrian Jeffery 21.04 peg 9 (W)

No comments: