Saturday 23 July 2011

Viaduct Open, Saturday 23rd July 2011

Cary was the venue for this 18 pegger, as Campbell was hosting the Carps AC three day festival. Out of the draw tin with 81, a peg that can produce, but also can be hard, today I had a feeling it would be tough going, as the wind was blowing towards the opposite bank.

Optimistically, I set up two wagglers and two lead rods, one waggler had a 3 swan straight peacock, the other a 3AAA insert peacock, two lead rods just to save swapping hooklengths, so I could try short/long hooklengths.

Delving back into the rod holdall, I then realised that the powerkits I took out last Sunday (not needed on Match lake), were still in the garage - duh!! Never mind, I had an idea it might turn into a silvers day, I set up a rig to fish meat for Tench in front of the concrete monk, another to fish meat at 14.5m up the spit, a MW diamond on 0.15 with a 0.13 hooklength and a 18 808 for skimmers and a MW slim power on 0.17 to fish banded pellet.

At the all in I started on the waggler just past the spit, fishing 8mm pellet, there were some fish up in the water, but they appeared uninterested in feeding, a switch to the lead also proved fruitless, trying pellet, popped up pellet and bread, all brought no bites. That was the end of trying to intentionaslly catch carp, so no further mentions of wagglers or lead chucking.

I had fed some groundbait and 4mm pellet at 13m, a look over this produced a couple of small skimmers to the devils spawn, so I refed at 5m, if I was going to get small skimmers, then at least I'd try and catch them close in.

Whilst this settled, down to the monk with 8mm meat and two tench in 25 minutes was the reward, then back in over the 5m line and a few small skimmers, a look up the spit to rest it and a small skimmer on the meat, back in and a 2oz roach on 8mm meat was the next fish.

Back on the 5m line and a pole pot was added top the topkit, a few 4mms and a couple of devils spawn going in each put in, a few more small skimmers, then back to the monk with meat, another tench netted. I could see that peg 94 was starting to catch carp steadily, so there was little point in going back for carp. I couldn't see anyone really bagging on silvers, but I knew Dave Roper on 86 was getting a few skimmers. Another look up the spit,I hit a bite and the fish had tangled itself in something traing from the brambles, I couls see a tench on the surface and luckily, it came out of the snag and styed on the hook.

Another tench from the monk and that completed my tench fishing for today, I had two more bites on meat, a 10lb mirror from the spit and a 15lb common from the monk.

To try and increase the size of the skimmers, I opened a tin of corn, first put in and a 3lb fish obliged and I thought I'd sussed it - you guessed it - no I hadn't, I didn't have another fish on corn. I finished the match on 4mm devils spawn, catching the occasional skimmer, wishing that I had some dead maggots or wroms with me, to try and revive the flagging swim.

The scales got to me, with Dave Ropers 19.04 of silvers to beat, I thought it would be close, but I didn't think I had quite enough, the scales proved me wrong and my 21.03 was enough to take first place in the silvers and ninth overall, with the 2 accidental carp weighing 25.02.

Quite a close match apart from Jamie Parkhouse's winning net.

1) J Parkhouse 152.00 peg 94
2) D White 79.03 peg 76
3) G Powell 77.02 peg 88
4) R Jordan 75.05 peg 102
5) N Brown 71.12 peg 90
6) Roy ? 70.06 peg 100

Silvers

1) Chris Fox 21.03 peg 81
2) Dave Roper 19.04 peg 86
3) Matt King 16.14 peg 99

No comments: