Tuesday 5 July 2011

Carps Viaduct Series, Sunday 3rd July 2011

I took a guest spot in this league today, so it was a positive approach, where ever I drew, no need to fish for series points. 105 came out of the tin, last time on this one I won the lake and a stupid lost fish cost me doing so again.

I set up two margin rigs, a MW 'Dinky D' for meat and a poly ball for paste. A shallow rig for pellet and a depth rig for pellet, a MW diamond and a MW Cookie respectively both on 0.17 with 16 B960 hooks. A MW paste rig completed the pole set up. I also set up a waggler rod and a lead rod, as there fish moving around towards the middle.

Virtually opposite I had Garbolino BMVG silvers ace Bob Gullick, so he wouldn't be feeding to far out to nick any carp - in fact he would be trying to avoid them.

On the all in I flicked the waggler at full depth to the middle, it settled and went under, after a 25 minute battle a 15lb fish graced the net, good start. I then had a smaller fish, but then the bites tailed off. I tried shallowing up and had another fish, great start, but that was the end of it. I tried the margins, nothing, not even an indication, or a twitch from a meat stealing nuisance fish. This was how it stayed on every look into the margins (both left & right) until the end.

I tried the paste line I''d been feeding at 8m - nothing, I tried 6 & 8mm pellet over it just in case there were some skimmers around - nothing again. In desperation I picked up the lead rod and it brought 3 fish.

In the last hour, I decided to really up the feed and fish the waggler, its a tactic that used to catch me a lot of chub on the river, its nearly like the constant rain of bait falling through the peg makes them feed. I started to get bites on the waggler and deepening up again saw me hook a big fish, initially I thought it may have been foul hooked, but it wasn't, it was just the sheer size if it. It took me all over the peg and it just wouldn't get its head off the bottom.

After 20 minutes, I had it under the rod and every time it came within 3 or 4' of the net, it powered off again, it was a angry common well over 20lb. trying to think ahead, as I had started to get bites, I thought I might get another fish if I could get back out there, so using the logic that it must be a good hook hold,as it had been on for 20 minutes+, put a bit more pressure on. Big mistake, the hook pulled and with it went a lake win and £50 quid section money......

I'd been feeding whilst playing it, but not nearly enough and the last 15 minutes remained biteless.

My 7 fish went 72lbish and Bela Bakos took the section with 76lb.

See Mike Nicholls blog for the results, as I had to disappear after the weigh in to go to work.

No comments: