Saturday 3 May 2014

UK Angling Champs Qualifier, Barston, Wednesday 30th April 2013

I had booked into this match, with the thought that qualifying would be a great learning curve.  It's certainly a different venue than those I usually fish and I had to have a crash course in method feeder fishing, as this plays a big part in catches up there.

Andy Kinder had kindly given me loads of imformation on the lake and I rang him when I drew, peg 37, he tried not to be too negative as he spoke to me on the phone.  It is on the end of the island, but is a shallow peg.  I set up two method feeder rods, one to chuck to the end of the island and one to fish shorter at about 30 yards.

Two pole rigs completed the set up, one to fish pellet at 13m, another for paste.

Starting on the island feeder, it took 90 mins or so to get my first fish, a skimmer, I had a look on the short feeder line and that was totally non productive.  The 13m pole line produced a couple of small skimmers and that was going to get me nowhere (I thought) so,back onto the method by the island. At last a steady pull round and picking up the rod, I immediately knew it was a big fish, it started to move away from the island and then snagged in several lines which were hanging from the island, next thing the fish was off and the feeder was snagged into the lines.

The day didn't get much better, with no more fish on the feeder, the skimmers had gone from the pole line, so I spent the last hour fishing paste, which resulted in one 4lb bream. My 11lb odd was not last in section, but not enough to qualify..... At least thats saved a few quid and hundreds of miles going on the van odometer.

I didn't get the results, but suffice to say none of the framers were anywhere near me.


No comments: