Saturday 25 September 2021

Acorn Open, Saturday 25th September 2021

 Fourth of my summer matches at Acorn, 20 fishing so everyone would have a bit of room on the lake, I like to peg it so the bridges only have one peg in, as they are close together.

I was due to fish the Landsend 3 day festival last weekend, but sadly had to pull out due to a broken thumb which happened on the previous weekends camping trip.... pulling out of matches I have booked into is not something I usually do, but had no choice, I doubt I could have got my tackle to the peg and set up, let alone fish.  The hospital said rest, pain killers and anti-inflammatory pills, so a week of that and the swelling is down and I have some movement back and fishing is restful isn't it....

Two pegs left in the bag, Martin Rayet took the penultimate ball - 23, leaving me peg 1, a rare trip over the bridge onto the island for me.  I did set up a rig to fish across at 14m, but I could feel that fishing that lengt wasn't going to be comfortable on my thumb, so concentrated on the edge and short rigs when setting up.

I was going to concentrate on 3 lines, the RH margin, which is very short and on a corner, at short line feeding maggots and a 0.1g float with a couple of 11's strung out and a line at topkit +1 where I would feed micros and fish corn or pellet over the top.

First hour was a bit slow and I only had two carp and frustratingly lost four decent perch (how come some days you land every perch and others days lose most of them....) I tried the micro and corn line, that did produce a couple of carp, but mainly nice roach were more attracted to the corn.

I wasn't finding fishing short too painful so decided to go down the margin early than I usually would, I pretty much stayed there the rest of the match, I could see activity every time I fed, so whilst I may have rested it by going long for a couple of spells, my thumb dictated otherwise and I rode out the quieter spells.  Couple of mini-disasters, I hooked one fish that dashed off round the corner and when the rig came flying back and tangled in the grass, I could see the mess that was someone else's rig, minus a float and hook all wrapped round mine, I guess the fish was trailing this and I hooked it. 

New rig on and with 40 minutes to go I hooked a decent fish, probably a double by the feel of it, the elastic snapped at the puller, I managed to wrap it round the pole tip and get hold of it, but the fish managed to snap the hooklength and the float flew back into the next and snapped the tip off - great.

Another rig on and I lost a bit of rhythm, which probably cost me a place or two, as I put 158.02 on the scales for 5th and last in the money.





 

2 comments:

Commercial Matchman said...

Is that the right result shot?

Chris Fox said...

It is now.... thanks for pointing it out!