Monday 27 September 2021

Landsend Open, Sunday 26th September 2021

 I say open in the title, it was a knock up really, with 13 fishing on lake 3.  I wasn't overjoyed when I drew 46, one away from the last time I was here.  For those that don't know the lake this picture sums why I guessed I'd have a fleece on, whilst those on the opposite bank would be in T shirts and sun cream.... The bank the side that says little rhyne stays in the shade all day, I don't like and I'm sure this fish don't either.  peg 46 can fish to the RH end of the middle island.


I thought maybe the island might be the best place to catch, so set up a rig for banded pellet, where ever I plumbed in the peg I was struggling to find 2' of water, the level is down.  I set up a rig to fish for silvers at 6 joints and margin rigs, also a meat rig for later in the match.

Starting across to the island was awkward, shipping back over the otter fence was hurting my thumb and I only had one small crucian to show for it,  I decided to fish for silvers and had a run of crucians, skimmers roach and perch at 6 joints on maggot over GB.  No decent size fish but at least it was bites, it wasn't manic but something to work at whilst I could see it was fishing hard.

I fed live maggots shorter, hoping to get silvers in short, but all I had initially was micro perch, then a carp.  Thought he might be a one off, but then hooked another that broke me.  Switched to a heavier rig (heavier main line and hooklength, not heavier float), as by now the silvers had disappeared, I had 4 more carp but they weren't exactly abundant.

At least it didn't rain and my silvers weight of 12.09 was enough to win the silvers, so a pick up both days of the weekend, best I could do from there i felt, as the top three all came from the far bank.

And they even let me have a crayon to fill in the weigh sheet.....





No comments: