Friday 10 June 2011

Viaduct Costcutter Open, Thursday 9th June 2011

Campbell and Cary in again today, the traffic caused me to arrive right on the draw time of 09.30, so I missed my usual spot near the front of the queue - why do some folk drive so bloody slowly!!! - 112 was my reward (or punishment).

After yesterday, I thought paste might pick out the bigger fish and after waiting nearly an hour, I was proved right as a hard fighting 10lber graced the net. By this time I was several fish behind Mash who'd drawn 132, my peg yesterday, it appeared the fish were in front of 134 right from the start today. Also Dan Squire on 115 was catching shallow.

Rigs were pretty much as yesterday, except I set up a paste rig right from the off.

I had the fish fizzing, but very few bites, also very few liners, I shipped out the soft pellet rig and had a couple of decent skimmers, I can only assume that they were the culprits for the fizz. I alternated between hard and soft pellet, paste and a couple of spells on the pellet waggler, all for little reward.

I tried meat at 6m and had 3 or 4 missed bites, I tried meat in the LH margin and had three fish in three put ins, one a 8 or 9lber, then all I could get was the constant twtching of the float as roach and skimmers pecked at the meat hookbait.

In the last hour I had a couple of fish on paste, but I was a long way from framing today, It seemed that I had a few bigger fish in the peg, but no quantity. the carp went 49lb odd and my skimmers 12lb odd for a total of 61lb something.

I'm happy to use the costcutters as a practise, trial match, as at £11 they are only £4 more than a dayticket and its possible to try things out under match condidtions - a great idea. Although had I realised how low a weight (in Viaduct terms) was needed to get some beer money I may have not persevered with the paste for so long.

Mash plundered the end bank on the waggler and won with 178lb

1) Mash 178.00 peg 132
2) D Squire 160.10 peg 115
3) T Bruton 91.15 peg 96
4) P Furlong 85.4 peg 98
5) M Nicholls 80.05 peg 116
6) D Wride 80.00 peg 118

Silvers

1) J Green 61.13 peg 78
2) M Nicholls 54.00 peg 116
3) T Bruton 48.06 peg 96

No comments: