Sunday 1 July 2012

Trinity Two Day Festival Sat/Sun 23/24 June 2012

Back to the old format this year, fishing Woodland and Wildmarsh lake on alternate days. Into the drawbag and 32 on Woodland revealed itself. I was a bit disappointed with it as a draw, the wind was blowing to the opposite end of the lake and much of my peg did not have a ripple on it. I had bait to fish for silvers, but decided that I wouldn't be able to compete with the pegs in the 20's which usually produce some skimmers.

I set up a couple of waggler rods to fish pellet shallow and about 4' deep, a rig to fish Devils Spawn at 12m, another to fish banded pellet at the same distance, a paste rig for 12m and a rig to fish meat in the margins.

Starting on the waggler, it was slow going, with just the odd bite from roach, after 20 mins I had a carp, but it seemed to be a loner, as the waggler didn't produce another fish. A switch to the 12m line was equally unproductive, on soft and hard pellet, no fizzing, no liners, real hard fishing. I'd been dripping a little feed into the margins, but there was no sign of fish, even so, in desperation, I had a drop in far earlier than I would usually. This resulted in one carp, but then the meat was being ragged by tiny fish.

Back to the 12m line and there was now an odd bubble showing and I managed a couple of skimmers and two carp on Devils Spawn, before switching to paste, this brought several more carp and a three more skimmers before the all out, with my skimmers going 10lb exactly and the carp 52lb. As expected the two pegs at the other end of the section, the windward end of the lake took the top two places in the section, I knew I'd need some decent anglers to have a disaster on Sunday for my 3rd in section to put me in the frame. Even with that, I wasn't too disappointed getting 3rd from the peg, Kev Perry on peg 2 had really struggled, so I don't think there were too many fish in our corner of the lake.

Sunday saw me draw 52 on Wildmarsh, a really good peg for silvers, especially small fish on a topkit to hand, but I knew that only a section win (and some really unexpected blow outs) would do any good, so I set out my stall to catch carp. Again a pellet line at 12m, with a paste rig at that length, also a polyball paste rig for the margin, which was the shelf in front of peg 53. I also set up a feeder, but this produced just one small roach and a tiny hybrid. After an hour I had a 9lb carp on 6mm banded pellet at 12m, but that was it from that line, no matter what bait I put out there it was attacked and whittled down by tiny fish. I had a few roach and small skimmers, but was looking far from the section win needed, so I carried on looking for carp, in the last hour, the margin produced two more carp, 5lb each and the scales saw me weigh 19lb odd of carp and 4lb odd of silvers. Ignoring the silvers in the blank middle of the match cost me, as Paul Lock won the section with 24lb odd of skimmers, an hour fishing for roach would have seen me make up the 1lb deficit, although with Paul Elmes and Paul Lock both registering two section wins,  a point less wouldn't have seen me make the overall frame.

Thanks to John, Sue and Misha for a good weekend, just a shame the weather seems to affect the fishing whenever there is a big match at Trinity.

Overall;

1) Paul Elmes 2 points 156.11
2) Paul Lock 2 points 103.01
3) Tony Rixon 3 points 130.08
4) Dean malin 3 points 114

Silvers:

1) Craig Edmunds 2 points 38.07
2) Nigel Bartlett 3 points

No comments: