Sunday 4 August 2013

MFS Match, Viaduct Campbell, Sat 27th July 2013



My first time fishing a MFS match and they seem a friendly bunch of guys.  I wasn't too concerned where I drew, I had 8mm pellet and meat, with some paste as a stand by, but for me it hasn't worked on Campbell this year, I had also picked up a loaf of bread, just in case......  Peg 116 came out of the dustbin lid (used in lieu of a cap, as non of them looked too hygienic).  I'd rather have had 115 as it sits further out in the lake, but it should still produce some fish.  Ken Rayner was on 119 and I had Mark Poppleton on 115 for company.

I set up a lead rod, two wagglers one full depth, one shallow, although it is difficult to catch on the shallow wag now, unless you have an end bank to cast to.  A  margin rig, a shallow and full depth pellet rig and a meat rig for a line about 6m.  Starting on the waggler at depth, I managed 4 fish in the first 30 minutes and then the wheels came off, the bites on the waggler stopped, I tried the pole shallow and depth with pellet, to no avail. The 6m meat line was full of roach and rudd, pecking away at 8 or 10mm meat, as was the margin, I had one small carp on meat from the margin and was now falling behind Mark Poppleton who was taking odd fish shallow on the pole, but out beyond where I could reach.

I switched to feeding 8mm pellet in the margin and a new 5m line with pellet to the left of the meat line, it took a while, but I had a run of fish from the margin before it went quiet and then had a bite every put in on the 5m line for the last 40 minutes. My fish went 107lb odd, should have been a little more, but was slightly over in my first net, I seriously misjudged the weight of those fish, as I had clicked 55lb!!!

With hindsight, I should have left the meat at home and just fished pellet all day, but even given that, the virtually barren 41/2 hours cost me any chance of a pick up, this now seems a regular occurrence, I struggle until the last hour or so, when my catch rate seems to be bang on, shame about the rest of the match.










No comments: