Thursday 7 November 2013

Viaduct Silvers league R3. Sunday 3rd November 2013

First trip out for my new (to me) van, I was tempted to get another Astra Sportive and looked at a couple of the 1.9 150PS versions, but realistically it's just too small, a squeeze for one and virtually impossible to get two and the ridiculous amount of gear we carry now.  I picked up Tony Rixon and was pleased to see that two lots of kit fit easily into a LWB Connect.

On the drive down and in the cafe, Tony said he fancied peg 78, as the favoured diagonal bank on Cary would be a bit exposed, something up with Tony's  influence on the drawbag today, he drew 119 and I drew slap bang in the middle of the diagonal bank on peg 100.  With the wind blowing into the bank, I did feel that I had drawn the right area on the wrong day and then compounded it by fishing it all wrong.

I guessed that a good 30lb+ weight would be needed to frame and set up to catch this, as with two poor results previously, the league and any chance of picking up in it are a lost cause.  A small cage feeder was set up, in case the forecast wind got up, a rig to fish at 11m (closer than I'd like, but didn't want to feed a line too far out and then not be able to fish it), the rig would also do for 14m if I could hold it there. A pencil float to fish short and a small diamond to fish the edge, hoping for hybrids or perch.  I also set up a waggler.

The short lines (topkit and 6m) produced nothing, not even a bite, even though I felt there was enough depth for them to give up a few roach, if nothing else, so no more about them.  The LH edge also was devoid of feeding fish and the RH edge  gave up two 4oz perch in consecutive put-ins and nothing else, not even a bite.

I think I overfed the peg, trying to catch 30lb+, instead of trying to coax a few fish out and had to switch between the 11m, 14m and waggler lines to keep the odd fish coming, where with hindsight, sitting it out on a long pole line for skimmers, or staying on the waggler and concentrating on roach would probably have given me a point or two more, but still not enough.

For results, see Tony's, Mike Nicholls or Clayton's blog.


No comments: