Friday 20 June 2014

Short Pole Match, Viaduct, Campbell. Wednesday 18th June 2014

21 on the lake for this match, so a taster of whats to come on Saturday's Maver Match This, which is a 120 peg sell out.  I can't say I was enamoured with the peg that came out of the draw tin, 134.  I have seen this peg struggle before when 135 is in, but I was still determined to give it a go and maybe the fish were pushed up into that bank with the wind.

It was nice to see fellow blogger Tim Ford back on the bank, hopefully he is well on the road to recovery now.

A very simple bait tray today, pellets. Meat has not been good for me the last few matches here, so I opted to only have a few cubes for hookers in the margin. I set up 4 rigs, two margin rigs, as I couldn't get tight in down down the LH side due to a large swathe of floating scum, so I plumbed up against this, the RH margin had some scum, but let me get much tighter to the bank.  The exception to the pellet bait was for down the margin, I had dead maggot and corn to feed one side and just pellet the other, along with some big dendras for hookbait.  As the match progressed the LH margin scum started to grow and was soon 6' or 7' out from the bank. I went along and cleared it out with the landing net, but within 10 minutes, the cleared area was once again covered with the impenetrable layer of scum.

Not that this made any difference, as I managed one 6oz perch from the LH margin and one about an ounce smaller from the RH margin, that was the sum of my bites from the margins, apart from the continual knocking and dinking of the float from shit fish.

I fed one line straight in front, with 6mm pellet and started on a 6mm expander, this produced a missed bite, then next drop in, a 9lb carp.  After that the expander was soon abandoned, as the shit fish were ragging it off the hook. A 6mm hard pellet was also being ragged, but persistence with it saw it go under and a 4oz skimmer was the result, this was the story for the next 3 hours, even with 8mm pellet, I tried 11mm pellet and this was being ragged, but the skimmers couldn't get it in their mouths.

After 3 hours I got off my box, had a walk to the shop, bought a drink and contemplated what to do next, as I was getting no liners, no foulers, no indication of any fish in the peg, I could see Glenn Bailey on 131 and Mike Nicholls on 132 getting odd fish on paste, so made some paste up and set up a paste rig, this remained motionless for over an hour, a last look down the margin and with an hour to go, I threw the towel in and packed up neatly and tidily, putting back my one carp and about 5lb of skimmers, before wandering round to sit behind Mike for the last 15 minutes.

I can only hope my bad run a Viaduct comes to an abrupt end on Saturday, it would be nice to draw a peg thats solid in the MMT.  I didn't get the result's, they'll be on Tony's blog.


No comments: