Thursday 28 August 2014

Viaduct Costcutter, Thursday 28th August 2014

I got to Viaduct and discovered that I had left my lead rods at home, oh well, that whats you get for fishing the day after an all day session, watching England get humiliated by India, in Cardiff.  Not a great loss, unless I drew Cary, which I didn't, 127 was my peg, just one along from Sunday, so at least the rigs would be just about right.... 27 fishing this one today.

Looking at the weigh sheet from Wednesdays match, it looked like I was on wrong bank, as the winning weights, four over 200lb were all from the Cary side of the lake.  A phone call to Yesterdays winner, Tony Rixon,  gleaned me a bit of information, I set up a shallow rig, but this didn't get used, a rig to fish meat short, another to fish it at 13m and a margin rig, although with 126 and 128 in, that was more in hope than expectation.

Two waggler rods completed the tackle set up and I was sat ready for the off, starting at 13m with meat, saw a foul hooker lost and lots of missed bites, the wind got up and I abandoned the 13m line, I had a couple short on meat, but Chris Rolfe on 126 was catching on the lead, so I switched to the full depth waggler and had one first cast, I had one more and there were a few swirls when the pellets landed, so a switch to the pellet waggler brought a fish straight away, but that was to be my only bite on it.

A pattern was forming, switch lines, bait or method and get a fish, then nothing, by the half way point I had about 50lb and even switching lines  had stopped working, bites were hard to come by.  I fed the margins and went back to trying to catch in the open water, but within 10 minutes I tried the margin, this produced the biggest fish of the day, a 12lber and then a 3lb bream and following the pattern, that was the end of the margin.

The short meat line started to fizz again and this did produce a run of fish, although the bites on meat were a bit 'iffy' and difficult to hit, a switch to worm over the meat feed saw the bites become much more positive and resulted in a properly hooked fish every time. As seems to happen a lot lately, the all out came just when I was in a good spell of catching, the last hour had seen me add a few lbs to the net and the nets went 146.01 for 3rd on the day.

1: Dave White 190.04 peg 77
2: Giles Cochrane 155.12 peg 119
3: Chris Fox 146.01 peg 127
4: Andy Eagles 145.14 peg 125
5: P Nut 128.05 peg 132
6: J Guy 123.11peg 130

Silvers

1: Glenn Calvert 33.00 peg 85
2: Martin Preston 32.08 peg 111




No comments: