Saturday 20 September 2014

How End Fishery - Garbolino Academy Day Friday 19th September.

I entered a competition on Match Fishing Scene, much more in hope than expectation, as my luck in winning competitions, seems to be wrought from the same substance as my drawing arm.  The prize was a coaching day at one of the Garbolino Academy days, there were several venues to chose from and having read some good stuff about How End, I put my name down for that, after a quick look at a map, it didn't look too far from Banbury........

I was shocked and stunned to be drawn from the hat, although I suspect there were 5 entry's for the 5 places, as that shattered my run of never winning a prize in a competition.  In the week leading up to the day, I gleaned a little information about How End and a late visit to Tony's (Rixon) saw 3 pints of caster in the fridge ready to take.

I had put the postcode in the sat nav and it said 2 hours 35 minutes... hmm, maybe Tunnel Barn Farm would have been a better choice, still I had the results of the Sweaties vote to listen to on the radio and left home at 06.17, thinking that might get me there for 09.00ish.  Hopelessly optimistic would be an understatement, optimism is not something I am known for having an abundance of, so where it came from I'm not sure.

The journey wasn't too bad until I got near the outskirts of Oxford, 40 minutes to do a bit under 4 miles and the sat nav was increasing the arrival time at a pace far exceeding my progress.  A slow and steady drive to Milton Keynes, where my frustration went up a few more notches, what a dreadful place that is, roadworks everywhere and no soul.  The last minor annoyance was the new road layout, which showed me driving in a field and unable to get to the turning it was saying I should go down, but this added a mere 3 or 4 minutes to a 3 hour 35 minute drive!!

A warm greeting on arrival from Darren Cox and Simon Fry, which was difficult to reciprocate with enthusiasm, as I was in dire need of getting to the toilet!!  They selected a peg for me and even helped carry my gear around, a visit to the on site shop, which I didn't look round, due to my late arrival, to get some pellet and off to the peg, 15 on Danis lake.

Whilst I had brought plenty of caster and worm, I had also put a feeder rod in the bag and decided that I would learn a lot more by fishing and being coached on this, than fishing W&C - bear in mind I have fished a method feeder abou 5 or 6 times in my life!!

 I set up two pole rigs, both to fish caster/worm, a NG Gimp with a bulk and two droppers, a 16 6313 on 0.12 finished this off.  The other rig was a Chianti, strung out shot and set at 2/3 depth, same line and hook.  The feeder rod had a free running method on it and a 16QM1 with a spike to fish band um's.

Starting on the pole, as Darren & Simon were tied up, I had a nice run of fish, a real mixed bag, carp to 3lb, small tench, crucians, 6oz roach, 12oz skimmers, just loose feeding caster and fishing 1/3 dendra on the hook.  Simon then came round and the pole went up the bank and I started catching fish on the method, once he had sorted my micro's out.

This slowed, so a swap to 3 dead maggots brought a few more fish and Simon went off after we chewed the fat about fishing in the late 70's and 80's.  I had a spell of 1/2 an hour without a fish, so picked the catapult up and pinged a few pellets over to the island, the tip went straight round and next cast I hadn't even got the rod on the rest before another took the maggots.

Another quiet spell so back on the pole and the mixed bag continued, before Darren arrived and suggested some changes to the method hook/band and hook bait, this worked a treat and I was catching well until a fish broke me - this was 10lb line - but it felt abraded and I think the sliding of the feeder had damaged it.  Re set up with a new feeder on about 18" twizzled line and back into the fish, until one took me into a root and snagged me, snapping the lot off again.

I decided to have the last hour on the pole, catching carp to 4lb and then, coming in on the top kit fishing double maggot, a run of 12oz skimmers. With thunder rumbling off to the south, I decided to call it a day at 17.00 and packed up, with the best part of 30lb of silvers and (sorry Phil, fishery owner) well over the 50lb limit in the carp net, I think as I was talking and listening, I just didn't realise the number of fish I had caught.

The fishery is a pleasant looking venue, a nice variety of fish, although, even with the fishery rules of no elastic heavier than black hydro (I used white hydro) there were some of the tench and small carp with mouth damage, an inevitable consequence of fishing for small fish I guess.  I would return, if it was closer, although my personal preference is for waters bigger than this, but it would be a great place to try things out.

The journey home wasn't quite so bad, I shaved half an hour off it and rewarded myself by stopping in the chippy in Brislington, large cod and chips, with mushy peas to round off the day.

So, I learnt a few tricks, it was nice to see the fishery after reading about it, shame I didn't get to meet Phil, the owner and I would recommend a trip there if you live within a reasonable difference, a big thank you to Simon and Darren for their time and patience, it was a pleasant way to spend the day and the frustrations of the drive up, soon evaporated.

Working all this weekend, so it looks like Viaduct next Saturday will be my next day out.

No comments: