Monday 8 December 2014

Lansend Winter League Round One, Sunday 7th December 2014

I've been looking forward to this, whilst Landsend has been far from kind to me, the failure to gain any consistency in open matches, other than bombing out, has mostly been of my own making, my second year fishing this series and was second in the silvers last year, I was hoping to make a decent attempt at the overall league this year.

With the early start ordered by organiser Ken, the assembled throng were eagerly waiting the appearance of the briefcase, which has now become a symbol of the league, as well as no small amount of good humoured merriment and piss taking on facebook.  Managing to sneak towards the front of the draw queue saw me pull 36 from the tin, a peg that was unlikely to compete with those at the end of the section, but it does usually give a few bites.

4 rigs for today, I only caught on one of them, a 0.3g NG Gimp, on 0.14, with a 0.12 hooklength and a 16 6313 hook, I was reluctant to go lighter as the lake does hold some big fish.  The other rigs were a margin rig, several looks to the empty pallets either side, not so much as a dink on it. Two rigs for up the shelf across, one with a band on for hard pellet, that didn't get wet and a similar rig with a plain hook on, that got wet, but was as motionless as the margin rig.

I fed some micros and dampened 4's down the middle, and caster up the shelf, after 20 minutes and no bites, I swapped to caster at the base of the far shelf and a 1lb+ chub was a welcome first fish.  I began to get some indications and bites at a rate enough to keep my interested, by catapulting caster tight to the catching area.  Double caster on the hook the accounted for a steady run of perch up to 2lb and another chub, before the bites tailed off very quickly.

A look on the soft pellet down the track was totally fruitless, a switch to maggot over the micro's brought another chub and the smallest perch of the day, before a switch back to the far line, which saw another chub and a perch take a liking to the double caster.  I was getting well beaten by Adrian Clark on peg 34, who was catching big carp off the end of the island, as yet I hadn't seen one!!  I wasn't alone, Tony Rixon to my right had a couple of perch and one small foul hooked carp and was really struggling for bites.  I gave up totally with pellet and concentrated on maggot for the rest of the match, managing 3 carp and one decent skimmer in the last hour and a half.

My 3 carp went 17.06 and the silver collection went 17.10 for a level 35.00, which as predicted, didn't beat the two end pegs in the section, but was enough for 3rd in section, 8th overall and a lake silvers win, so not the start I wanted, but, a welcome envelope,  not as bad as it was for some.  The weekends weather and the clarity of the water really knocked the fishing back, a spell of settled weather, even if its cold would be welcome. Have to wait until 25th Jan for the next round, that will decide if it turns into a silvers league or I can still progress in the overall league.

Next up, Xmas match at Trinity next Sunday, looking forward to it.

1: Dan White 89.07 peg 31
2: Adrian Clark 77.10 peg 34
3: Ken Rayner 65.06 peg 32
4: Glenn Calvert 53.07 peg 13
5: Ian Brownsey 39.07 peg 7
6: Paul Elmes 37.00 peg 70

Silvers
1: Andy Hembrow 19.10 peg 68
2: Chris Fox 17.10 peg 36



No comments: