Wednesday 11 March 2015

Acorn Open / Costcutter, Tuesday 10th March 2015

It's been 9 months since I last visited Acorn, the length of time was partly just due to other commitments, partly due to the big 'hangover' I had from the Pole only series last year, which was a dismal series for me personally.

I think there was about 20 fishing this match and after finding that the fish were looking for a bit of feed on Sunday, I was hoping to catch a few today, I had plenty of caster left, so was going to base a plan around that. I managed to get into the drawbag pretty early and ping pong ball 17 was my reward, not one of the bridges or corner pegs.

2 rigs for silvers, a 0.4 NG Gimp with a 16 63.13 on 0.10 and a HB Chump with a 18 6313 on .010, the latter being good for the near and far shelves, the former for down the track.

The pegging was fairly spread out along the back bank, with Charlie Barnes on 13 and Barry Fitchew on 15, then next peg was Eddie Wynne on bridge peg 21, so plenty of room. I decided to fish for silvers, 4 balls of GB down the track on the all in and loose fed caster at the bottom of the near shelf.  leaving that to settle I went across to the far shelf in about 3' of water

It was a slow start, apart from Des Shipp on peg 40, who had 4 fish in as many put ins, after 20 minutes of no action across, I looked over the GB down the track, feeding that much GB may well have been a mistake, as that area too seemed devoid of fish and if they had backed off the bait, they had plenty of water to back off into.

After an hour of having had a couple of tiny perch, 3 roach and one small skimmer, I switched to feeding micros across on the 'second' shelf, with soft pellet on the hook, this resulted in a carp and a missed bite, I decided to switch to fishing for carp as the silver 'action' was so slow and set up a rig to fish banded pellet tight across and a margin rig for down to the pallet on my left.

The fish were few and far between, once I caught one then I wouldn't get another bite from the same line until it had been well rested, so it was a game of patience to rotate lines and keep the odd fish coming, in between carp I had 2 f1's and 2 better skimmers, so more silvers when carp fishing, than when targeting them!!

I saw a swirl tight to the far bank and shipped the banded pellet rig out and dropped into the gap in the far bank grasses, the float buried and a 3lber was netted, back across, not another bite from here, I tried toss potting bait and towards the end, catapulting 4mm pellets to the far bank, but the fish wouldn't settle there, I had one more from that line.

I fed some micros, maggot and a bit of GB down to the pallet of 18 with just under 2 hours to go, this produced 2 carp to triple maggot, couldn't get a bite on pellet down there.

At the all out I knew that I was behind a few pegs I'd seen catching, but had a better day than some others, who DNW, I believe Darren Vowles had one fish all day from 26.  The weather was lovely, it was the least wind affected day I have had on the venue and it was frustrating to be 4 or 5 decent fish off a pick up, but it was better than work.  Poor decision making to spend time fishing for silvers  and my incompetence at pellet fishing, especially on snake lakes was probably a major contribution to being an also ran.  My fish went 40.06 for 8th on the day.

1: Des Shipp 90.11 peg 40
2: Lee Wadler 77.03 peg 9
3: George Sumison 57.08 peg 22
4:Mike Owens 56.04 peg 33
5: Rich Heatly 51.01 peg 34
6: Dave Wride 50.06 peg 5

Silvers

1: Des Shipp 22.07
2: Rich Heatly 14.03



No comments: