Monday 18 June 2018

Viaduct Spring League, Final Round, Sunday 17th June 2018

Last rounds result had put me out of any opportunity to end up in the money on this years league, so just a section or hopefully match to fish for today.  Then my drawing arm worked its usual 'magic' and it was looking likely that a section win would be the only thing on the cards, but I didn't even fancy doing that from 103, not a peg you'd sprint to.


Still, it's better than work and I was hopeful of a few fish, usual gear set up for Cary, two wagglers, one shallow, one full depth, a lead rod and some topkits comprising a shallow rig, a depth pellet rig, a meat rig for short, a margin rig - I cleaned out the margin down to the vacant pallet of 104 and found a lovely clean flat area to fish on, a little deeper than ideal, but it would have to do.

10 minutes on the meat at the start and a few little knocks and a 3oz skimmer told me there were no carp around, I did feel my best chance would be fishing the waggler, so switched to that, I did get a bit of fizzing feeding pellet at about 25m, the shallow waggler was a waste of time, so I switched to the full depth rig and immediately had some indications and finally my first carp, but a small one about 8lb.  It wasn't too long before I hooked another, similar size and was quite happily playing it on one of a pair of 12' Normark Titan 2000's I use for carp fishing, when quite inexplicably the top section went off with a bang, breaking clean through about 4" up from the joint.  The shock caused the tip to break of as well...…


I'm now in mourning, an irreplaceable rod that is getting harder and harder to find (if anyone has one gathering dust in their shed they want to sell, let me know).  Adrian Jeffery was behind me on Lodge and he said "that's sounds expensive" - sadly its not the cost, its the non availability of these rods. Its looking likely that I will have to find a new pair of rods to use in the future, just haven't found one that suits me as well as the Titan!!

I did manage two better fish on the waggler, so had 4 for about 38lb by just after 1pm, but the indications stopped and I never had another bite (apart from one 6oz skimmer) on the waggler.  The guy on 102 was fishing the lead and not catching, so I felt quite justified in not chucking that out - if there were fish there I would have had indications on the waggler.

I had a look back on the meat line and had a spell catching skimmers, but they weren't going to win me anything, so back looking for carp on the waggler.

With an hour and 45 minutes to go I fed the margin, this produced a couple of small skimmers before finally a decent carp had the orange Vespe streaming out of the pole tip, one of these old dark Cary fish that come to the topkit quite easily, then just swim round and round in front of your nets and they stubbornly won't come up off the bottom, I haven't found a way to get them out quicker, its just patience and constant pressure.  Finally netted it and thought it was about 15lb, so hopeful of more, but a couple more skimmers and a perch were all I managed.

Tough day, my 66lb beat the guys either side, but not 109 and the 100 and 99 were first and second in section with ton plus weights and they were moaning about how many fish they had lost...…

The league hasn't been particularly kind to me, drawing the same section for 3 matches running would be great if it was a good section, but apart from one match where mugging saw a big weight from it, its been a section you'd want to avoid.

Well done the winner and framers.


Top Final League Positions:
1. Aidan Bordiuk - 4 points / dropping 1 / 897lb 1oz
2. Trig - 4 points / dropping 2 / 1252lb 13oz
3. Gary O'Shea - 6 points / dropping 4 / 558lb 2oz
4. Mark Wynne - 6 points / dropping 5 / 762lb 5oz
5. Sam Powell - 7 points / dropping 2 / 843lb 13oz
6. Richard A'Herne - 8 points / dropping 3
7. Adrian Jeffery - 8 points / dropping 6
8. Tom Mangnall - 8 points / dropping 7



Top Weights from Today:
1. Clayton Hudson - 268lb 10oz - peg 85
2. Gary O'Shea - 204lb 4oz - peg 115
3. Mark Wynne - 201lb 9oz - peg 81
4. Rob Wiltshire - 181lb 3oz - peg 126
5. Sam Powell - 168lb 6oz - peg 114
6. Paul Elms - 167lb 15oz - peg 124






No comments: