Wednesday 18 July 2018

Acorn Open, Tuesday 9th July 2018

First trip out in the new van, not a high top connect like the old one, but a LWB and it's longer than the older model LWB, so more room - just means I'll put more stuff in.....

Into the drawbag and ping pong ball 36 selected, not one I'd have chosen, but I'd go and give it my best shot.  Had to do a fair bit of 'gardening' to get in tight across, but I managed with the help of my trusty shears.

I'm not over keen on the peg and today, there was a slight ripple put on by the aerator, but not as much as the breeze was creating down the main straights.  The RH margin is too shallow and the LH isn't much better, so I was hoping that the far side and a rig on the nearside 'second' shelf would produce, plumbing around, the near side second shelf doesn't exist, is a fairly steep and steady drop off to full depth, not ideal.

I could ramble on about the match, rigs and baits, but they were as usual for here, with pellets being the mainstay of the bait tray.  The aerator and the wind coming down the main straight were causing a horrible tow through the peg and Mike Owens on 37 fished a method most of the day to counter act it.

I really struggled and as I knew I was a long, long way from those I could see catching on 9 and the low teens, I tipped back 53lb on the clicker and packed up neatly and was in the van on and on my way home by the time the scalesmen were starting.

1. Gary Flinders.                 204-10 p9
2. Callum Dicks.                 185-15 p13
3. Craig Challingsworth.   142-05 p22
4. Glenn Bailey.                   109-05 p33
5. Bob Smith.                      109-02 p34
6. Graham Smith.                92-10 p10

No comments: