Sunday 5 August 2018

Ivy House Open, Sunday 5th August 2018

Its been a long time since I went to Ivy House, just circumstance and opportunity, not a conscious decision, as I usually enjoy the matches there and have had some reasonable success on the canals and match lake.

35 fishing so one section on the Kingfisher canal and 3 on the match lake,  I had come expecting the match to be on the match lake, so didn't have the bait for the canal, but I would have been happy to draw on the canal, as its plenty of bites and a busy days fishing.  Into the draw tub fairly early and match lake 10 looking back at me, it's the old peg 11, so a nice edge to fish down to where the lakes have been opened back up into one.


I would probably have only set up a pole and concentrated on a couple of lines, but I treated myself to two new Tournament 12' waggler rods yesterday, so ha to set them up and have a go with them, they had a full depth waggler (Middy Fat Boy, great carp wagglers)  and a Preston pellet waggler, 4g.

Topkit were a full depth pellet rig, two margin rigs, one with a band on the hook, one without, a shallow rig and a rig to fish past short just up the shelf (two + two).  The margin plumbed up at just over 2' down to the rushes at 8m, I thought this would be a decent depth, come back a metre closer and the depth was under 12".

I started by cupping in a few pellets down the edge as it looked inviting and going straight over them with a 8mm in the band.  Apart from some 'shit' fish pecking at the pellet, there didn't appear to be any resident carp.  I had also fed the short line and within 10 minutes I dropped in there with paste, that was a good move as first put in I had a fish 6 or 7lb, but it wasn't the start of a run, I had no more bites from here.

Like a kid with a new toy, I had to get out and try the wagglers out, so full depth first, about 10 minutes into fishing that I had another fish around the 7-8lb mark on a 6mm Coppens pellet.  Shortly after I hooked another, slightly bigger and certainly more spirited fish, the fish ran off and then 'came off', although when looking at the end gear, the reel line loop had broken at he bottom where the hooklength was attached.  Strange, as I only set that rod up yesterday and the loop had it's first hooklength on it, so not wear and tear.

A couple of liners and fish evidently up in the water saw me switch to the shallow waggler, no bites until I put a white semi buoyant bandem on, with a No9 stotz on the hooklength to get it to sink.  Hooked a decent fish on this and the line broke above the float, bizarre, I have used this particular line for a while now and never had any issues with it (Daiwa TDR).  I did set the shallow waggler back up, but no more bites on it. So with 2 hours gone I had about 15lb in the net and knew I'd have to get the edge to work to get a decent weight from the peg.

With 2.5 hours gone I switched back to the edge, I had kept a few pellets going in and was determined to catch on them, the nuisance fish were still evident and I had a roach that was probably shy of 3oz on an 8mm pellet.  I had to try and get something working, so I cupped in some GB and maggots, putting maggots, worms or even corn on the hook was a waste of time, double corn was ragged off as well.  By now there were signs of carp in the peg, but they were coming right into the shallow water and completely avoiding all the baits I'd tried.

Off the box, out with another topkit and I rigged it up with one of my favourite shallow margin rigs, a Korum blob and a 12 hook.  This is primarily for paste, but can be used with change baits of bunches of maggots, worms or corn.

I didn't really look back from there on, catching carp in 8-12" of water on big blobs of sloppy paste, it did stop the nuisance fish, I think they were a problem as the margin didn't have carp in all the time, they were coming in (not hard to spot them in water that shallow) either singularly or in twos or threes.  When it was one fish, I could see it either make its way to the bait, then the blob disappear and the water erupt or the fish would sense danger and veer off.  When 2 or three came in, I inevitably caught one of them as he grabbed the bait before his mate, sometimes they wait and I'd go back in and get another straight away.

With 25 minutes to go, I put a 4th carp net in, the kiss of death, I never had another bite, not even a liner, but thankfully my enjoyable 2nd half of the match saw me put 167.12 on the scales for a lake and match win.

Really nice day, must ensure I get back to Ivy House before too long!!





No comments: