Wednesday 19 September 2018

Viaduct Cost Cutter, Thursday 13th September 2018

Fishing the Avalon festival the previous 3 days left me wanting more, so I made a late decision to head down to Viaduct, booking in on the way down.

I had bait and tackle to fish for silvers or carp, so wasn't overly fussed where I drew, the dip into the bag decided it for me, 74, not a renowned silvers peg, so the casters left over from the festival would go down one edge.

Whilst tackling up I could see plenty of black shapes cruising through the peg, most of them were headed towards 109, with not too many coming back the other way, some were even hanging around in pole range. Simple match, full depth waggler and lead rod set up, shallow rig, full depth pellet rig, with a light float and  strung out shotting, a meat rig and an edge rig.

Bait tray was casters, pellets and meat, with a few worms as hookers.  As expected, 10 minutes before the all-in the visible black shapes started melting away, have they got watches, is it the keepnets going in?

A quick look short on meat, but nothing doing, so out with the shallow rig and I hooked one nearly straight away, a mirror about 7/8lb netted shortly after, nice start, but that was it, another 35 minutes of persistence shallow and nothing to show for it.  Dropped in with the depth rig and it took another 20 minutes or so to get another fish.  A look just a bit further past the feed with a waggler was a waste of time, not so much as a liner.  I had another on the depth rig and had another carp, but it was another 8lber, so going nowhere fast, if the fish are going to slow coming on Cary, you at least want to catching the big teens that soon add up to a decent weight.

Halfway through I fed the edges, pellets to the pallet of 75 and casters down to the right, rather than drag out an elongated story, I will just say apart from 2 small (3oz) hybrids down the RH edge I had nothing, surprising that, as it always used to be a banker.

The last half of the match I kept rotating the lines, gave the 5m meat line a good go, but only managed 3 more carp, one shallow, two on the deck over 6mm pellet feed, again small ones for Cary as my 6 fish went 49lb odd with 5lb odd of accidental silvers, 55.04 was only enough for 6th on the lake and nowhere in the match.

Next up my two dayer at Viaduct.






No comments: