Wednesday 2 January 2019

Landsend Open, Sunday 30th December 2018

Last match of the year, I did fancy going to Ivy House, but they had a two day mini festival, which I couldn't enter, not being able to fish on Saturday, so Landsend it was.  I have a strange relationship with this venue, I love the tranquillity of it, I like the feel of the place, I just never do any good here.

I had hoped for a days silvers fishing, so a draw on the Match lake was required, I was still eating my breakfast (another plus point for Landsend, the tasty breakfast) when it was time to draw, so Tony drew for me, peg 55, I couldn't be further away from the Match lake or the silvers in lake 3.  My inability to draw on Match lake when there are two or more lakes in has now stretched for as long as I can remember.....



Still, with the next peg in being Dick Bull on 51 and Adrian Jefferies across the lake on 58, there was plenty of room, although, that's not always a good thing at Landsend, as the fish are wise old buggers and often back off into the gaps.  The island is a good 17.5m away and I wasn't going to risk my back by fishing that, so I set up a 9' Preston Carp lead rod and a tiny lead, to plop a 6mm pellet across there.

Pole for the rest of the peg, its 14m to the spit on the end bank, so a dobbing rig for there, the lake is very shallow, but I found a deeper area fishing across pointing the pole at Adrian on 58, so I set up a rig to fish soft pellet over micros here, a caster line at 7m and a hard pellet line at 14m towards the island.

Starting on the dobbing rig, I could get bites on maggot, but it was tiny roach, Adrian was suffering the same fate fishing to the island, I didn't stick with it too long as the roach were too small to be worth targeting.  Out to the soft pellet line and a couple of indications. then a positive bite and carp on, well, he knew where the snag in the peg was, a dark shape under the water that looked like a dead weed bed which had an autumn and winters worth of twigs and branches entwined in it, carp 1 me 0.

I had another bite from this area, but it was a roach and then the line was lifeless. A switch to hard pellet at 14m towards the island saw me hook and land a 1lb F1 first put in, then I hooked another that just came off.  Then a 3lb carp graced the net, before another was hooked and that came off - frustrating, pretty sure they weren't foul hooked, hooks and elastic were ones I have used without problem for a while now, so no idea why these fish were coming off.

The caster line at 7m never showed any sign of producing, not a single bite from it.  I ended the match fishing 6mm pellet to the spit, but had to wait a long time for a bite, adding 3 more carp and a decent roach all on 6mm pellet and a couple more managed to shed the hook.

I knew at the end, that Adrian had beaten me, having 7 to my 4, he had a little run of fish fishing long down top the weed bed which is the other side of the spit from me, others on the lake had beaten me and I was 100% confident the match lake would throw up some better weights, so the fish went back and I was off out the car park before most got back.  See Tony's blog for the weigh sheets, Bob Gullick won from Match lake with over a ton, well done Bob.

I felt I fished a tidy match, I wasn't convinced there were many fish in the peg, I am just hoping 2019 bring me a couple of good draws to get some confidence back, its been a poor few months for me and I just can't seem to get back on track.

No comments: