Monday 24 August 2020

Ivy House Open, Sunday 23rd August 2020

 Ivy House run two matches on a Sunday, one on Heron, the newest lake on the complex and one over the two canals.  Heron is a bit of a fish race and the canals more of a sedate affair with carp and silvers featuring in the weights, so my choice is the canals.

Travelled up with Tony, who was making his first visit for a while, the cafe was open again, serving takeaway only, but the crusty breakfast baguettes went down a treat.  Onto the draw and I drew 37, end peg on the old canal (Kingfisher), never drawn down this end and was hopeful of a few fish,

3 baits for the side tray, pellets, maggots and corn, a rig to fish maggots short just up the near slope, I have been trying Des Shipp's F1 maggot floats for this and they are one of the better commercially produced floats I've used. 0.12 and 16Guru F1 hook for this.  Two rigs for down the track one for banded pellet and one for maggots or soft pellet, a Malman Roob for the banded rig and a HillBilly Chump for the maggot rig.  Two rigs for across, one 6" deep and one at 3' which was the shallowest shelf I could find - too deep really.  Finally a rig to fish the RH edge.

Fed the short line with a little ball of GB, two lines down the track with GB/maggots on one line and pellets on the other, then went across to the far side with a banded pellet, toss potting a few in, a couple of indications and then a small F1, it just didn't feel right, so I came off it and spent the next couple of hours rotating around the three lines short, 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock, with the maggot lines being better than the pellet line.  I kept the odd carp and skimmers coming, not hectic, but enough to keep concentrated on the job in hand.

As it was an end peg, I had a look down the margin earlier than I normally would, hooked and lost two foulers, one  of which was a 9lber in the wing, had him in the net once, he jumped out and shortly after the hook pulled. Had a smaller carp after but then the fish moved off again, I was getting bites I couldn't hit on corn - roach maybe?  A 8mm hard pellet was better but it did die off and I switched back to the open water, had some more skimmers, but felt they weren't coming quickly enough to trouble the silvers money.

I started feeding a line at topkit +1 down the edge and went back on my original edge line at 11m, I put a bunch of maggots on and had four better fish for 20lb in quick succession, before the line died off again, I had some swirls on the short edge line and I had a couple of fish from there, before I got all excited and overfed it.... bloody idiot.

I had been feeding 2+2 line straight in front with 6mm pellets and dropped in, I caught fairly steadily for the last 30 minutes, but it was smaller fish, 1lb-2lb.

I might have to change the name of this blog to one out of the money, as thats what I was again, 4th on the lake, 4th in the match with 110.06, beaten for the section money by 8oz and 2.08 for second.  It was a match winning peg and I should have won from it, a combination of trying to push the edge and impatience probably cost me, lesson learnt - I hope so. 






No comments: