Saturday 7 August 2021

Phil's open, Viaduct, Saturday 7th August 2021

 First trip down to Viaduct for a while, some no shows put the number down to 17, I managed to draw myself 132, it's one of those pegs that can be brilliant, or not so good, as it's a corner and the fish do come and go from it.

Two rigs for pellet in open water, one on the deck, one shallow, a meat rig for 2+2 and a margin rig to fish up the edge and to the end bank if necessary.  Also set up a straight lead, didn't bother with the waggler, couldn't really see many fish moving.

Started short on meat, but nothing on that, not even a skimmer, I had pinged a few 8mm pellets out into open water and went over them with the lead, I also fed 8mm pellets to the end of the willow that hangs over the RH side of the peg, from both these lines I caught fish and put 60lb in the net in an hour and 50 minutes, happy with that I was hoping for at least the same in the middle two hours and then a good last two.

Well that didn't work, I had two more fish in the middle two hours, one on the lead and one shallow on the pole, I wasn't getting liners anywhere, it didn't feel like there were many fish there.  I even went up the edge a bit early and had a skimmer on 8mm pellet, same down the LH edge, I never even hooked a carp in the edge, which is unusual even for an off day on the peg.

Last two hours I had a few skimmers on meat and an odd carp, about another 60lb in total and so it proved, I put 122lb on the scales for less than half way up the field, not sure what I could have done differently.  135 didn't weigh in,  so there weren't too many fish up this end.   No picture of the weigh sheet, as I manged to put my phone into a bait tub with meat and water in and it died..... expensive day!!!





No comments: