Sunday 1 August 2021

Tony Rixon's Float Only, Penultimate Round, Todber Manor, Sunday 1st August 2021

 Everyone was a little shell shocked by the results from the festival the week before this match with anglers catching over 400lb and coming nowhere.  I didn't expect such big weights today, as there were less on the lakes.

Peg 52 for me, I felt there were better pegs in the section, so it would be a case of getting my head down and concentrate for 5 hours.  I had banked on pellets being the bait that would see me through the 5 hours, so my main line of attack was two rigs for straight in front at 2+2 and topkit. Also a margin rig and a shallow rig.  The two open water rigs were glass stemmed to take the pressure of catching short and quickly..... hmmm.

Started at 2+2 and banded 6mm, it took a little while to kick off and never really got going at a rate I felt would see a big weight, I'd been feeding the topkit line and came in on that, had a carp instantly, then a small tench and that was it, nothing.  Back on the 2+2 line and by toss potting a few pellets I could get odd bites, but it was pretty slow going.

I tried the LH margin, even 8mm pellet was getting ragged by small silvers, I wasn't convinced there were too many carp down this arm today, but there was obviously some, I needed a section win to be in with any chance of keeping in touch with the league leaders.

I ended up opening a couple of tins of corn and feeding that short, it was better than pellet and I had a steady run of fish at the end, which thankfully was enough to see me over the line of the section, but a long way from the framers.




I think this is the table going into the last round, but I haven't had all the details of stand-in's this does have the worst result dropped.



No comments: