Sunday 8 August 2021

'Pops Pairs' Sedges, Sunday 9th August 2021

 A charity match in the memory of Jamie's father (Jamie owns Sedges) and some money to a local hospice.  Traveling partner Tony Rixon said he wouldn't mind being on Brick lake, so I happily took Tile lake.  We decided (without much difficulty) that Tony would draw, both being nervous of what my drawing arm might pull out....

Tony got 9 on Brick for himself and 37 for me, not a bad draw as a pair.  I expected that I'd need a ton plus to come back with good points, so had 6 & 8mm pellets and 8mm meat.  I also had some paste, as it can work on here. Set up a method to chuck to the island, a straight lead to try bomb and pellet and topkits for meat, pellet on the deck, a shallow rig and a paste rig.

To my right I had Jamie, the owner, he had one rod set up, a method; to my left Guru backed Ben Hagg, so a tough day in prospect.  Just as last time I fished the venue, it was windy, made it difficult to hold anything over 11m, even plumbing up.

I started at 11m fishing pellet on the deck and in 40 minutes had 2 skimmers, not a lot being caught, so I picked up the method, a 6mm pellet into the band and micros/GB on it, I was pretty shocked when it went round after about 2 minutes and a carp about 4lb was the culprit.  Stuck with it for a bit, but never had another bite on it.  I could see some fish moving in front of the island, so off my box and took the waggler rod out of the bag, but that was a waste of time no bites on that.

I still hadn't seen much caught, so tried the bomb and pellet where I'd been feeding the 8mm pellets, about 5m off the island.  Not as much as a liner.

By now I was wishing I'd brought some worms and skimmer GB, I did knock up some GB and opened a tin of corn, just to try and put something in the net, the GB worked and I had a few decent skimmers, then a carp about 6lb, I was hopeful the feeding skimmers would draw some carp in, well that didn't happen, I tried the short meat line every 15 mins or so, but never had a bite on it.

Next to me Ben had persisted with slapping and did get some carp in the end, enough to win the lake, fair play to him, I just cannot do it, the monotony it of breaks me after 10 minutes or so without a bite. Jamie's single rod approach also paid off as he beat me by 8lb.

Thankfully Tony had a second on lake, my gamble on catching skimmers paid off and we ended up third overall and last in the money, with me winning the silvers as well, so a reasonably happy van on the way back up the M5.  Well done to Ben and Scott who slapped their way to victory.


Overall 1st Scott Puddy and Ben Hagg 5 points 124lb 4oz
Overall 2nd Jamie Parkhouse and Paul Homewood 9 points 147lb 4oz
Overall 3rd Tony Rixon and Chris Fox 9 points 140lb 4oz




No comments: