Sunday 27 September 2009

Bullock Farm 27th September 2009

This seems like overkill, three blogs (mine, Tony Rixon's and Mike Nicholls on the same match.

Todays plan was, its my birthday, I'll draw a good peg and at least frame, as anyone who knows me, plans aren't my thing and today proved it.

I arrived in plenty of time and walked round the lake, just as well I did, the usual Bullock scenario, three pegs occupied by pleasure anglers, there is a sign as you drive in indicating which lakes are open or closed, it isn't the biggest sign you'll ever see. One of the guys was on peg 29 (gawd knows why!!) and he didn't realise he was on the match lake, or even that the lake he was fishing, was the same lake as the one behind him.

Perhaps Phil needs to adapt his sign to include a map of the lakes for the newbies and a lethal injection for the terminally dense.

Charlie and Tom's organisational skills were up to scratch, with 20 being an ideal number for the match lake, 22 were actually booked in, someone needs to tell Tom that whilst he takes his shoes and socks off to count to 20, it doesn't work when you have 6 toes...

So with the final tally being 24, as 2 turned up for the breakfast and a chance that someone didn't show, 4 pegs were put on North Pool, restoring the karma to the match lake and giving some lucky sod the chance of pocketing the cash.

Another good Bullock breakfast (as last time, eaten in the company of Nicky Collins, who this time didn't get on his soapbox, although it was close....) and then to the draw, the old fishwives that are Charlie and Tom, had bickered a lot less this time and I managed to draw 27. Not too happy, with the lack of crucians and fantails when I fished peg 17 on Friday, I wasn't convinced that they'd be anywhere near this peg, let alone enough carp to win it.

I set up a maggot rig on 0.13 with a size 18 808, a pellet rig with 0.15 and a size 16 808, a paste rig, but lighter than usual, with a 14 911 to 0.15 line, I also set up 2 margin rigs, one for maggot / caster 0.15 to a 18 911 and a cat meat rig.

I started at 10m, with maggot and had the odd fish, skimmers, roach and a crucian, I could keep the occasional bite coming by very light feeding (Mike Nicholls would be proud!!). The rate of fish was slow, so slow that I was pretty convinced that somewhere else on the lake, the usual 20lb+ bag of 'silvers' would take the silvers money - big mistake.....

I buggered about trying to catch vermin in the margins, to no avail, they either weren't there, (no liners, so possible) or weren't interested in any bait I could offer. Why I bothered I don't know, I trashed several rigs in the roots and untrimmed crap that infest the margins, whilst watching Pete Sivell and Ray Cooper do similar.

Last half hour saw me back on the silvers and as the scales came around, the realisation that, had I fished for silvers all day, I could have gone home with some beer tokens.

I weighed 8-09 of silvers and one vermin that went 7-10 which took in excess of 10 minutes to land on 0.10 and a 22 808, which I'd resorted to, to try and keep the silvers coming.I also had the peg ploughed up by another vermin that refused to be landed on 0.10 and a 22 808.

The typical indecision I suffer on commercials continues, the result being:

1. Gary Bedford 75-10-0 peg North Pool 12
2. Mike Nicholls 58-08-0 peg 17
3. Adrian Jefferies 50-04-0 peg 19
4. Tom Thick 49-07-0 peg 25
5. Jason Radford 40-06-0 peg 22
6. Paul Faiers 36-02-0 peg North Pool 6

Top Silvers:

1. Glyn Wickems 12-05-0 peg 26
2. Ray Wickems 12-05-0 peg 24
3. Nicky Collins 12-04-0 peg 21

Unless I can win the lottery - ha ha, how likely is that with my shite drawing arm - the necessity that is work, means that I won't be fishing another match for about a fortnight, lets hope I can make the right decision then!!

No comments: