Thursday 28 July 2011

Avon Angling Open, Landsend, Wednesday 27th July 2011

A silvers day today, well that was the plan, perhaps with hindsight (there we are again, that hindsight gene I appear to be missing) I shouldn't make decisions like that until drawing.

Two lakes in, Match & Specimen, once again, I was on the wrong lake, peg 17 on Match. with venue silvers stalwart, John Bradford on 15. I set up a pencil float on 0.14 to a 0.10 hooklength and a 18 Drennan Carp Match, to fish caster. A Carpa Chimp on 0.14 to 0.12 and a 18 808 to fish worm or devils spawn and a MW slim power on 0.18 to 0.16 and a 18 B960 for banded pellet. I also set up a paste rig to try and catch some better skimmers or bream.

It was a struggle, my initial entertainment was seeing Trigger on peg 19 hook a lively carp on his new Sensas 774, I couldn't see Trig, but I could tell his arse was twitching by the liveliness of the fish and the way the pole followed it round the peg.

I struggled to keep the fish coming, switching baits and lines constantly to keep bites coming, John was finding the going equally tough. I tried paste and had two skimmers on it, before the carp moved in and I had 4 on it. I weighed 18lb odd of silvers and the 4 carp went 32lb. I had a 4oz roach jump out of the net at the weigh in and it flew 6-8' back into the lake - all to no avail as Speci lake produced a low 50lb and a 39lb of silvers.

I had carp moving around the far shelf all day and it was difficult to resist, but I did - as said, with hindsight, I should have fished for them and fed the casters to the birds.

See Tony's blog for the result, I had to get away as the draw had been delayed by latecomers. Trigger won, so the new pole stood up to the test and brought some luck.

I hate matches spread over more than one lake..........

No comments: