Sunday 18 December 2011

Avalon Xmas Match, Sunday 18th December 2011

There was a good turnout for todays match, shame the cold rain/snow of a couple of days ago and the overnight frost were likely to effect the fishing. I walked up the pub last night for a beer or two, on the way I bought a lottery ticket and a loaf of bread for bait. The lottery ticket only had one number matching the winning line and I got chatting, had a couple more beers than I intended and left the bread in the pub..........

Into the draw tin and I managed to get an end peg, 48. No island chuck and I guessed the replacement loaf I bought on the way to the match, would go unused, at least the ducks would get a meal at the end. No need to load up the trolley for such a short walk, so a couple of trips to the peg saw me settled in on the nice new pallet that Vic has put in. Vic walked round and offered some advice and information on the peg, always good to get some assistance. I set up a waggler to fish maggot, a straight lead, just because it was set up in the bag (I might as well put all my lead rods on ebay for the use they get) and two pole rigs. Rig one was a 0.4g MW diamond, because the wind was blowing into my face and I wanted a stable float, this was on 0.14 with a 0.12 hooklength and a 16 6313. The othe rig was for the margin, on 0.18 with a 0.16 hooklength and a 16 B911.

I started on the waggler towards the aerator, with a 6mm pellet banded on, no feed, just to see if there was a fish willing to pick up a lone pellet. I had a search round the peg with this and then switched to single flouro maggot. The first fish fell to this, a small skimmer,  I'd fed a couple of lines, off to the left between the 10 & 11 o'clock position, as far as I could catapult casters in the head wind and a pole line, which I lined up with a tree to the left of peg 2 at 14m, this was fed with micro's via a cup. I also fed the end bank at a comfortable 14.5m, this was with micro and maggot.

I had a couple of skimmers and roach, then a 6oz perch, by swapping between the waggler line and the pole line, all falling to the single flouro, soft pellet proved to be a non starter, as did caster. As I started to get a few bites, I picked up the catapult with my usual exuberance and even though I did my best to limit the bait, I think the half a dozen or so maggots was too much, as the bites tailed off. Then the waggler buried and a better fish was putting a curve into the Titan, a 3lb or so carp was duly netted. The waggler line then really dried up, so a look down to the end bank, where there was a nice flat shelf, with nearly 5' of water. No bites here, so I refed it and out onto the 14m pole line and a decent skimmer joined his small cousins in the keepnet.

Both open water lines went really quiet in the last hour or so, that left me concentrating on the end bank, hoping a couple of carp would come up onto the shelf, first put in the float buried and a 1oz roach had taken the double maggot, next put in, the float buried again, this time a small, but angry carp was the culprit, no more carp, but a couple more roach made the net before the all out.

A nice touch at the end as Vic and Mrs Vic had organised soup, crusty bread and hot mince pies, just the job after a cold day, thanks. The usual Xmas match hampers and booze was lined up and I won my section and a 12 year old Malt for my fifth place over all. My silvers went 6lb odd and the 2 carp 5lb odd for a 11.11 total, apart from the winner, it was a nice close match, a lost carp (probably fouled) cost me second place, but that was the only fish I lost.


1.      Vince Brown 48-04-0 peg 19
2.      Andy Gurd 15-08-0 peg 27
3.      Darren North 14-10 peg 10
4.      Shane Caswell 13-04-0 peg 24
5.      Chris Fox 11-11-0 peg 48
6.      John Bradford 11-08-0 peg 9

Silvers:

1.      Tony Rixon 9-0-0 peg 28
2.      Alan Oram 7-14-0 peg 12


No comments: