Sunday 4 December 2011

Trinity Xmas match, Sunday 4th December 2011

The post title is Sunday 4th, there is a post missing for Sat 3rd, the Plantations match, on which, I drew peg 11, probably, if not definitely the least form peg on the lake, I was minded not to even bothering to walk to it, but I did eventually gather enought fortitude. I knew my gut feeling was right and 2pm packed up and went off to see the incompetent ref hand Middlesborough the game at Ashton Gate - what a shit day!!

So back to today, a long overdue visit to my favourite venue, John has been busy again and the lakes now lack much of the foliage they once possessed - I like it, but there is a balancing act to be had, between barren hole in the ground and fishable fishery. he also expressed his desire to get Wildmarsh up to a similar standard of weight averages that Woodlands achieves - I've no doubt he'll succeed.

I've previously managed a 3rd and 2nd in this match, in fact in 2006, it was my first match back after my long layoff, so a win was the aim, I felt this necessitated a draw on the far bank. Thankfuly a far bank draw, No 8, stuck to my mitt, from Misha's bucket. I had purposely left the rods at home, so set up a couple of top kits with 1g & 1.5g rigs respectively and another with a 0.8 for hard pellet. Finally a 2x10 rig for the margin, although, as much as I plumbed the margin, a decent shelf was conspicuous by it absence. The best flat area was under the platform of the vacant peg 9.

I started at 13.5m, with micros and Devils Spawn, as this is often  a good bet to catch decent skimmers and carp, not today as a couple of hand sized skimmers made the net in the first half an hour or so. I was obvious looking round the lake that no one was catching well, and a switch to maggot caster brought the odd small roach and skimmer. By the time Misah stared the first of her rounds with the gratis soup, mince pies and sausage rolls, I had approx 1lb.

I looked in the margins earlier than I wanted too, and had three carp in three put ins under the pallet of peg 9, that seemed to be the residents caught as I failed to get another bite from the margin, one more carp from the 13.5m swim and another couple of roach was too be my lot, but I wasn't far away with that, as the carp had not fed, the scales swung in my favour, with 17.10 of carp and 3.02 silvers, making my 20.12 enough to win by 2oz. It was nice to win this match, with my previous 2nd and 3rd and I must congratulate and thank John, Sue and Misha on the hampers for my self, 2nd and 3rd, as well as the silvers winner.


Wine, Cheese, Beef, Pork and a variety of other goodies which won't last long.... so much for the diet!!

1) Chris Fox 20.12 peg 8
2) Paul berry 20.10 peg 10
3) Mark 'pastehead' Walsh 18.00 peg 2
4) Brian Cearl 15.04 peg 33
5) Kev Perry 9.14 peg 4 (most of which was an 8lb+ carp on the last put in at 17.5m)

Silvers

Brian Slipper 15.00 peg 16 (Roach on caster)



2 comments:

Tim Ford said...

Nice one Chris, seems everywhere fished shite yesterday, except for a few pegs on speci! Blanks galore on the avon from Bristol to Staverton, very strange.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you got on better than Saturday, Just for your records the match on Plantation was won of peg 7 C. Tucker 63-04 and surprise surprise second was peg 8 A. Hembrow 57-15. Fair play to Noddy finishing 3rd with 40-03 of peg 28 and top silvers M. Broomsgrove 14-04 of peg 39.

Cheers Glenn.