Friday 20 January 2012

Avon Angling Open, Trinity Waters, Wednesday 18th January 2011

I booked into Tony's birthday match and it was to be on Avalon, pole only, it actually ended up on Trinity's Woodlands lake, any method. Not that that was an issue, as lead chucking isn't often a framing method on this venue. A breakfast in Hilltops Cafe was, sadly, the highlight of my day and it wasn't the best brekkie I've ever had.

I fancied a draw on the far bank and managed this, but peg 15 was likely to be too high a number and so it proved, with this quarter of the lake fishing pretty tough, I assume it was the prevailing wind blowing cold water from the previous couple of nights freezes, into this corner. I set up 3 rigs and a waggler rod, one rig to fish Devils Spawn and another for maggot, finally one for the margin to fish corn or maggot.

It didn't take too long to get a bite on the 4mm Devils Spawn and then another, both of which I missed, liners? Finally I landed a decent skimmer and almost immediately, Vince Brown on my right hand side landed one as well, that was a false dawn, no more to either of us, although be both refed after our fish - a mistake?

I searched all 16m of my LH margin, right down to the pallet of peg 16 and managed one bite - a 1lb carp. The margins are usually a banker here, if they don't produce bites its because there are no fish in them. I managed a few roach on maggot and another small carp (very small) on Devils Spawn, but that was it. Vince put together some reasonable silvers and a couple of carp, on caster over groundbait, but I had, sticking to my new simplistic regime, only brought maggots, Devils Spawn micros and corn.

The best weights came from the unfancied car park bank, which  had the wind off it. See Tonys blog for the results.



No comments: