Monday 9 January 2012

Carps AC Open, Viaduct, 8th January 2012

As this weekend saw the start of the Landsend League and the match at Shiplate being full, I booked into this match on Campbell and Spring lakes. 25 booked in with one no show meant 12 on each lake, I am a bit of a Viaduct winter novice, so the draw wasn't a big deal to me before I pulled 130 from the coffee tin.

It was soon made apparant that 131 framed on Saturday, so my 2 pints of caster, groundbait and dead maggot suddenly seemed a waste of money - and so it proved. I set up  2 top kits with Carpa Chimps, one on 0.14 to 0.12 and a 18 Carp Maggot and the other on 0.16/0.14. I left the Matchpro quiver in the holdall and set up the ready made up 12' Maver reactorlite, with the 8lb Shimano Technium and a 0.16 hooklength and a 16 Guru QM1 hook. Last thing set up was a trusty 13' Normark Titan to fish the waggler, apart from 5 small roach, that the last mention for the real fishing equipment.

I am pretty ashamed to admit, I spent most of the day, chucking the lead........ I did it with my first chuck and landed a 6lb+ fish. I had 5 roach on the float, I threw them back......

Basically it was sit and wait for a wrap around, I was pleased that peg 131 wasn't in, as I manged to get 12 carp, chucking the lead, as far as I dare to my RH side, in line with the edge of the palllet of 131. If I went straight in front, or towards the aerator, the tip remained motionless.

Maggot resulted in tiny roach, meat only one fish and the other 11 all fell to bread, I lost a couple, one snapped the 0.16 hooklength, half way up. I assume it rubbed across the dorsal fin. The lake fished reasonably hard, the silvers weights all came from Spring and the winner came from the next peg to me, 132, the fish were obviously shoaled up at that end, although towards the end of the match they did move down into 131 as I could see the dark shadow of the shoal. This coincided with my best spell of the match.

My 12 Carp couldn't compete with the 18 for 107.09 on peg 132, so I ended up second, with 79.10. I'm not sure I agree with the way the money was paid out - 4 x 6 peg sections with the section winner and section silvers winner each getting £30. The match winner said it cost him £40 in diesel and bridge fees and I picked up nothing for 2nd. I think the money is spread out to far nowdays, it used to be when you picked up at a match on the Avon or Huntspill, it was a week or mores wages in your hand, now winning or framing hardly covers the cost of entry, fuel and bait.

1) Glyn Reynolds 107.09 peg 132
2) Chris Fox 79.11 peg 130
3) M Parsons 65.11 peg 10
4) G Powell 53.13 peg 128
5) Tim Pallant 49.06 peg 114
6) Dick Bull 43.12 peg 118

Silvers

1) Steve Kedge 21.14 peg 25
2) Stu Foale 18.13 peg 17



8 comments:

Zac said...

I agree completely with the payouts but can understand the fishery trying something different. A lot of venues become so peggy this time of year maybe they're trying to combat that. I agree with what you say through and wouldn't bother driving anywere you could only win £30 after paying £20 pools plus bait, petrol, breakfast?

Anonymous said...

the money is so spead out some more than likey ends up in john bennets bank account

Anonymous said...

Assume u knew u were fishing a 6 peg match with two cash winning prizes for silvers and overall - u won neither - lol

Chris Fox said...

You assume wrongly, I wasn't aware that there was no overall payout, but still, its only money, you can't take it with you.

Anonymous said...

This makes no sense, 4 sections paying £60 is £240. If 24 fished that means entry takeaway peg fee = a hell of a lot more than £240 so where did this go? Unless you paid £15 to enter which would mean payout was correct.

Every pound over £15 you paid to enter x24 has gone missing. Not good Carps AC.

Chris Fox said...

Speaking to one of the section winners on Wednesday, it appears the whilst it was announced that it would be £30, they actually received £43. So there was enough money to pay sections and a couple of places.

Anonymous said...

I hope you got some coin for second then! Even so, I totally agree about strange way to payout!

Anonymous said...

chris i cant beleive that they didnt pay top three and then sections by default,thats the accepted way round my neck of the woods.
Bill G