Wednesday 24 October 2012

Viaduct Silvers League Round Three, 21st Oct 2012

 A decent draw needed as the first round has to be dropped, so how deflated was I to draw peg 74 again, the same peg as the first round, with as before, an easterly wind blowing into the peg. I was hoping that some of the perch and hybrids showed up, but wasn't too confident when arriving at the peg, as there was very little sign of life, not even the unwanted carp.

I set up 4 rigs and a waggler, a margin rig with a 16 on 0.14 for perch tench and hybrids, a rather optimistic rig to hand ,(with a new float type from float maker Nick Gilbert), with a 18 to 0.10, a 4x12 KC Carpa Chimp to fish caster at 11 or 14m and a 0.5g Preston green to fish either soft pellet or caster should the heavier rig prove better.

On the all in some micros went in at 11m, using Paul Faiers on 103 as a marker, some groundbait and caster at 14m using peg 107 as a marker and caster short. First drop in with the topkit rig and the float buried, a roach in the net, that was that, a one off. No matter where I tried in the peg, I couldn't get more than one fish from any line, with the margins seemingly devoid of fish - in fact they produced 3 bites, two carp and a 12oz perch, so no more about them.

The only way I could catch, was to fish caster on the waggler, out past the tree that extends a far way out into the peg on the RH side. This produced some small skimmers and 2 slightly better fish, had there been anyone opposite on 106/107, they would probably have said I was past halfway, it was the only place I could get bites!!

So a resounding last but one in the section with 9lb odd, same placing as last time and the section weights got better (apart from peg 77) round to 85 where the section was won by Glenn Calvert with 20lb odd. The section actually went:

85 - 1st
81 - 2nd
80 - 3rd
78 - 4th
77 - 6th
74 - 5th

See Tony's blog for the results and if I draw this peg again in this series, I doubt if I'll find the enthusiasm to walk to it.

No comments: