Monday 8 October 2012

Viaduct Silvers League 2nd Round

Last week I fished Landsend, Fabio saw me in the car park and offered me a lucky coin to ensure I had a decent draw, peg 31 came out of the hat, it was a good draw once, but the whole of the speci lake, pegs 25 - 32 fished very hard, with some good anglers struggling, I saw no point in writing about catching 18.10 lb of silvers when it came nowhere........

Onto the 2nd round of the Viaduct silvers league, first round was a disaster, peg 74 with a cold easterly wind and rain blowing into it, so a diagonally opposite draw on peg 90 was better, but still far from one of the favoured pegs. I set up a waggler, which didn't get used, a Sensas Auchy to fish to hand, a Preston green 0.5g for worm or soft pellet, a 4x14 jolly for worm/caster/maggot and a wire stemmed Preston unknown for the margin, hoping the tench or perch would feel hungry.

Suffice to say the first 2-3 hours were more of a sufferance than an enjoyment, as I struggled to put together any sort of run of fish and the skimmers I did tempt were of the 5/6 to the pound stamp. I had fed a worm/caster/groundbait line at 14.5m, caster short and micro pellets at 11m at 10 o'clock. None of the lines produced more than the odd bite, with the short lines being particularly unproductive.

As worm seemed to be the kiss of death, I tried a new line with caster / dead maggot, but this also seemed to be devoid of fish. At last, a look over the micros saw a few skimmers and one bream come to Devils Spawn on the hook, but it wasn't long before the vermin moved in, all in all I lost around 15 hooks to the greedy water pigs.

I had fed both margins with caster as well as a line straight in front, hoping for decent roach, perch and tench, it didn't produce until the last hour, when decent skimmers. perch and roach graced the landing net, joining the hard won small skimmers and one tench (taken on soft pellet at 11m), giving me a total of 29lb something. Not enough to frame, not enough to win the section, but a section second, behind Tim Pallent who caught well at the off and added some better skimmers at the end, with a better stamp of skimmers than I could manage.


1.      Tony Rixon 48-10-0 peg 100
2.      Mike Nicholls 46-00-0 peg 101
3.      Anton Page 43-04-0 peg 70
4.      Bob Gullick 36-14-0 peg 99
5.      Steve Kedge 36-05-0 peg 121
6.     Andy Neal 35-10-0 peg 77
7.      Lee Werrett 34-02-0 peg 71
8.      John Green 32-0-0 peg 128
9.      Tim Pallant 31-09-0 peg 94
10. Joe Mc Mahon 31-04-0 peg 78

No comments: