Thursday 9 May 2013

Avon Angling Open, Trinity Waters, Sunday 5th May 2013

I have been wondering since Sunday, just what went wrong and I'm no closer knowing.  I drew peg 10 which is a reasonable draw, the only thing that made me think it might not compete today was the fact that 9 and 11 were in, the pegging is a bit tight on this bank to really catch well in the margins without an empty peg.

The depth of this lake ensures that the fish come up in the water (a couple of years back I had 25lb of tench on the pellet waggler) and they can be caught shallow from April onwards, so I started shallow and had a carp within 5 mins, that was it, the only carp.

The margins produced two bites, two 6oz perch on meat, halfway through I abandoned the idea of catching carp and set up a lighter rig and mixed some groundbait with dead maggot in and fished for skimmers, this resulted in just 4 skimmers in 2 hours and with an hour to go, I'd had enough and packed up.

I was feeling pretty sorry for myself, but calling in the pub made me realise it wasn't that bad, one of the regulars, who I knew as a pub acquaintance rather than a friend, aged 55 had died of a heart attack, his wife finding him dead in bed, that puts a bad days fishing into perspective.

See Tony's blog for results, as I was on the motorway before the results were announced.

No comments: