Thursday 9 May 2013

Viaduct Open, Wednesday 8th may 2013

It was good to get back to Viaduct and I treated myself to a breakfast at Shipham on the way down, first in the cafe so I had a choice of table and newspaper, nice relaxing start to the day.

16 fishing today, with a forces match on Campbell, we were all on Cary, where some of the fish are bigger than me now!!  Into the coffee tin and out comes peg 100, Matt Tomes filled my head with tales of 4lb bream and skimmers in abundance, I hadn't really come to fish for silvers, but if there was the chance of a big weight of them I had to set up a rig. I set up a double bulk rig with a 16 6313 on 0.14 for the skimmers, a meat rig for 6m a margin rig, a pellet rig for 14m and two rods, a waggler at full depth, with 2 No10's down the line and a straight lead.

With the wind coming lightly over my left shoulder, I couldn't help myself from starting on the waggler, as it's rare to get such perfect conditions, with the slight ripple and wind direction even allowing me not to sink the line, as the wind was not affecting it.  Sadly the fish didn't appreciate the exquisite presentation and apart from a couple of quick bites, that the strike connected with nothing, it wasn't exactly taking the lake apart.

I could see that John 'Turkey' Thompson on peg 102 had taken a couple of carp on the lead, so was I in danger of another disaster like Sunday?  By now there was some slight fizzing on the line I'd fed with 6mm pellets for skimmers, but a look with a banded 6mm met with a still float, a switch to Devil's Spawn brought some small skimmers, but there weren't many fish there as the soft pellet could lay untouched by roach or tiny skimmers for 10 minutes before a 6oz specimen took it.  A foul hooked carp decided to snap the hook length, as it charged off through peg 99, giving Roger Andonio a real wrap round on his tip as the white hydro bottomed out.

With the likelihood of a weight of skimmers looking unlikely now, it was back to the carp and by rotating between the 6m meat line, the waggler and the lead, I managed a few fish, there was some fizzing over the 6mm pellet line, not skimmers but the big round patches of bubbles produced by big carp. I set up a paste rig and went over it, promptly foul hooking a large carp that luckily shed the hook just before the orange Bazookarp bottomed out.

The margin seemed devoid of fish, as I didn't have a bite down to the pallet of 101, so my venture into skimmer fishing may have cost me a chance of 3 or more fish that might have sneaked me into some money. It was a decent match, with weights being pretty tight, I had two fish in one net that I thought would go 20lb, they went nearly 25lb, I'm no good at judging the weight of these Cary leviathan's.

I put 93.00 on the scales, of which 5.10 was my failed attempt to plunder the skimmers. At least I manged to beat the pegs either side, everyone who broke the ton picked up today, so I really should have concentrated on carp, but apart from the annoying shower just before the end, a n enjoyable day.

1) Roland Lucas 163.06 peg 97
2) Tom Thick 155.04 peg 74
3) Nick Collier 133.03 peg 81
4) Howard Webb 131.02 peg 94
5) R Brewer 128.07 peg 86
6) S Russell 113.02 peg 85

Silvers

1) S Russell 30.01 peg 85
2) Nick Collier 16.07 peg 81


No comments: