Tuesday 9 July 2013

Tony Rixon's Float Only, Landsend, Sunday 7th July 2013

If this match wasn't part of a series that I'd committed to, I wouldn't have fished it.  For whatever reason, I seem to draw on lake three everytime its in, I hung back at the draw hoping to get a peg on Match or Specimen lake, so I could fish caster foe silvers.

I couldn't believe it when peg 66 (lake 3) was the peg I pulled, not only no chance of silvers, but also a poor peg on the lake.  I was very tempted to no bother going to the peg, but decided to go and give it my best shot.  I set up a NG Gimp, 0.2g that would suffice for caster, although I didn't expect to catch much on it. A Preston pencil float that would do for Devils Spawn and meat, a paste rig and a MW slim on a long line to fish banded pellet, although the lack of cruisers in the peg meant that it saw little action.

I fed some micros and 4's at 11m, caster down the track and short, meat at 5m. Starting on the devils spawn at 11m saw a couple of tiny skimmers netted, but that soon died off. The caster short line produced a couple of perch, which were stuffed with caster, not a good sign, before that died off.

I did get a couple of rudd down the track, so in desperation set up a greased loop rig, to try and pick up a few silvers, this produced two rudd before becoming as barren as every other line. Just before 3 o'clock I walked to Fabio on the next peg and he said he'd be packing up and going if he had his van, so I wasn't the only one suffering.

I went back to my peg and had 4 bites in 20 minutes on paste, 2 foul hookers that shed the hook quickly, a common that was low doubles was netted after a tough fight and to cap off my day, I played a double figure ghostie for nearly 10 minutes, before the hook pulled just as I was going to net it.  That summed up my day.

I didn't bother to weigh in as I had the one common about 12lb and 2lb of silvers.  Fabio had a couple late on meat giving him 26lb, and Dick Bull the other side weighed 22lb making the section of 5 the worst of all 8 sections, quite how to change my luck at the drawbag, I don't know.

See Tony's or Silverfox blog for the results, as I didn't hang around at the end........

No comments: