Tuesday 3 September 2013

Float Only Round 6, Viaduct. Sunday 1st September 2013

I've had a little break from blogging, it has been impossible to get up any enthusiasm after some pretty disastrous days, that combined with working far too much.  The disasters were drawing peg 119 on Campbell at Viaduct in a short pole match, no matter what bait I put on the hook (even 11mm pellet) it was ravaged by tiny roach and rudd.  I managed just 5 carp before packing up with an hour to go.

Next match was worse, Trinity Wildmarsh, I drew peg 20, a poor draw, but I had plenty of water to attack. I had decided to fish for carp, so set up a waggler for 8mm pellet, a lead rod complete with Preston pellet feeder and a rig to fish meat in the margin. After 3 hours without a bite or liner, I had a walk, went back to the peg and set up a rig to fish caster, 0.06 and a 22 hook, under a 0.3g pencil float, this also resulted in a motionless float. A blank, on a commercial in summer, another early bath as I packed up an hour early again.

Third depressing outing was the last in Clevedon's Saturday series, to be fished on a lake I like, the top lake at Acorn. A match win could see me win the series, after a win and a 3rd, but Mark Broomsgrove and Rod Wootton were also right in contention. Acorn had been suffering with low oxygen levels and had pumps and aerators running on all lakes.  As soon as I drew, I knew that my series was over, as Mark drew one end peg and Rod the other, as for me, peg 6 by the bridge in the narrowest part of the lake. I managed about 15lb, mostly skimmers, which is a poor weight from this lake, I only had 3 carp, they just didn't want to feed.

Anyway, back to the match in the title, I drew 114 on Campbell, in a strong section (of 5) with in form Tom Thick on 112, league contender Shaun Townsend on 111, Lewis Greenwood-King on 115 and Bela Bakos on 110. I can't recall drawing this peg before and I think Mike Nicholls took pity on me after my recent torrid times and gave me some advice on fishing the peg.  As I haven't got to Viaduct nearly as much as I would have wanted to this summer, I wasn't sure exactly what would work, so set up two wagglers, one shallow (not used), one full depth. 5 topkits, two for banded pellet shallow and full depth (not used), a meat rig for 5m, a paste rig and a margin rig for banded pellet.

My back has been playing up lately, so 6 hours of slapping a shallow rig, especially competing against youngsters like Tom and Lewis, was not on the cards. I started on the full depth waggler and in the first 45 minutes had 37lb on the clicker, it slowed down, just as I was thinking it wouldn't be too difficult to do 40lb an hour........  Lewis on my right was struggling, whilst I could see Shaun catching consistently, Tom was taking odd fish.

I had an early look into the LH margin and had one fish, an early look on the meat line was a waste of 10 minutes, so back on the waggler and I managed a couple more fish, but by now was falling behind Shaun and Tom had a run of fish from his margin. I rested the waggler line again and first dob in with paste had an 8lb fish, that was it, every other put in on the paste resulted in a liner. I tried the shallow pellet rig over the paste line, to no avail.  By now Lewis was losing his head as he foul hooked a fish virtually every put in, as was Paul Elmes behind him on Cary, as the whole venue was aware via Triggers running commentary.

I spent most of the last couple of hours in the LH margin, each time I was thinking 2 more minutes and I'll try the waggler again, the float buried. Tom thick by now was getting a fish a chuck fishing shallow and long, Shaun had been steadily catching, whilst the rest of us had quiet spells. I didn't catch a fish on meat, not sure why, plenty of others did and Shaun caught 50/50 pellet long and meat short, I didn't even have any 'bonus' silvers, my carp went 145.04 for third in section, behind match winner Shaun and match second Tom, for a double default section pick up.


Full Result:
  1. Shaun Townsend 228-14-0 peg 111
  2. Tom Thick 196-05-0 peg 112
  3. Keith Masheder 180-06-0 peg 105
  4. Mike West 172-0-0 peg 125
  5. Tony Rixon 164-08-0 peg 95
  6. Scott Puddy 161-03-0 peg 116
 Top Silvers:
  1. Gary Etheridge 44-11-0 peg 86
  2. Leon Hubbard 26-03-0 peg 99
  3. Keith Masheder 22-13-0 peg 105

No comments: