Thursday 12 December 2013

Avon Angling Open, Trinity Waters, Wednesday 11th December 2013

A significant date for this match, 11-12-13, that's the last number sequencing any of us will see, as it won't happen again until 2103.

14  on the lake today, so a good spread of pegs, I was hoping to avoid the top bank, as it has been unkind to me, but the cold wind blowing down the lake did suggest that the top end of the lake might be the place to draw.  Into the hat, after friendly greeting from Misha, out comes peg 8, 7 and 8 used to be flyers when the tree was in the water, but they have become more on par with the rest of the pegs as the tree has been gone a while now.

Two rigs would suffice today, a 0.6g NG Gimp to fish various baits in the open water and a MW slim to target the margins, particularly under the pallets either side.  the water was pretty coloured so no need to fish too light, 0.16 on the margin rig and start on 0.14 on the open water rig.  Given the depth of this lake the fish often sit off bottom, so I did have a lead rod with a 2' hooklength, set up to fish popped up bread.

Some micros and a couple of grains of corn went in at 13m, no need to go longer and the wind would have made it too much like hard work to do so.  Leaving it to rest I did have a dob under both pallets with bread, but not so much as a tremor on the float. A look over the fed area brought micro roach to maggot, and even dead maggot wouldn't put them off and leave the bait for a decent fish to pick up.  A switch to corn brought a skimmer, but that was to be my only bite on corn in the open water, Devils Spawn was completely non productive, so back to maggot and a few small skimmers fell to that, but it was slow and the fish were too small to make it worth while.

At 1pm I went down under the pallet of peg 7, having fed a few grains of corn, this produced 4 fish in a 20 minute period, then it went quiet, so I guess I had taken the resident fish, I refed and tried the pallet of peg 9, but the wind was making it too tricky to get the presentation correct and in the right place.

I decided to make a proper bread dobbing rig for under the pallets, even though the water was probably a bit too coloured for it to work, I chucked the lead whilst I was doing it and before I could pick up the line to start making the rig, the tip was nodding and a carp had taken the bread, a false dawn, as I didn't have another bite on it, nor the dobbing rig.

The open water swim was totally non productive, so I finished the match by taking a couple more fish from the margins and with hindsight, should have concentrated on that, as it was the only area of the peg producing carp.  My fish went 33.08, frustratingly one out of the money, by 10oz.  As I thought the fish came from the top end of the lake, but that will change, as at the moment different pegs/areas seem to be winning every week.

1. Kev Molten 71.07 peg 15
2. Tony Rixon 62.10 peg 23
3. Martin Lengahan 34.01 peg 31
4. Chris Fox 33.08 peg 8
5. Matt Tomes 28.03 peg 19
6. Tim Pallant 22.07 peg 12 (All silvers, top silvers weight as well).

No comments: