Monday 2 December 2013

Viaduct Silvers League Round 5. Sunday 2nd December 2013

Firstly, no blog for the last round, as I didn't have time when I got in and was off to London for a couple of days on the Monday morning, then to France to pick up a puppy, so its been a busy time and there was nothing much to write about, as this series continues in the disastrous vein it started.

Saturday night a few of us from work went out for a beer, so I was grateful to get a lift with Tony (Rixon) , as I doubt if I was under the limit for driving down.  After the usual decent brekkie at Shipham, I felt a bit more human and managed to shrug off the hangover that was threatening to take hold.

Tony only had to win his section to sew up the league, with one to go, he managed this and fair play, he has made the most of his draws and stuck to his guns, fishing for skimmers or tench, rather than being side tracked by roach.

I managed to pick out 101, I thought it might be just too far along, but it should produce some fish, 3 rigs set up, a 0.4g rig to fish at 14m, caster/maggot over groundbait, another rig to do the same at 11m, where it was 6" shallower and a rig set up with a 22 on 0.06 as the water looked clear. This would be fished at 8m off to the left.  A waggler rod completed the tackle set up.  On the all in I put 3 balls in on the 14m line, 2 on the 11m line and fed some caster at 8m, starting on this line. It was tough going, with just a couple of small roach to show for it, Trigger on 102 had an empty peg to his left (down to several no shows, a real pain when you're running a series) and he used this to his advantage, taking a couple of decent skimmers, a perch and a roach nearly 1lb, whilst I struggled to get a bite.

What followed was a frustrating time, as three of us in a row (Chris Davies on 100) hooked and lost decent skimmers, they seemed to be sat up in the water and wouldn't take a caster, maggot meant these lost fish.  It was like an outing of the Tourettes society it got that frustrating.  If I had the beauty of hindsight, I might well have weighed in a better weight, as in a quiet spell I decided to try the waggler a couple of metres beyond the pole line.  Straight away I had a decent hybrid on the drop, then a few roach and a skimmer, all this without feeding...... so thinking there were a few fish there feeding, I picked up the catapult, only fed a few casters and 3 or 4 maggots, but that killed the peg stone dead.  I can only assume that the fish were sitting out behind the groundbait and were happy there, until a few casters rained down on them and they disappeared quicker than Mike Nicholls when he has to get his wallet out.

I struggled up until the end then, just with odd small roach and 1 more skimmer for w weight of 8.05, which was 3 oz more than Chris on 100, bit nearly 5lb behind Trigger on 100, who had put 6lb in the net in the first 2 hours, whilst most others struggled.  At least I have a good idea that I buggered it up by feeding today, rather than a couple of the other matches, when I haven't been able to get my head round why its been such a struggle.  A tough but enjoyable match and now I have to steel myself for next week, R2 of the Landsend league, I'm on Speci lake, apparently the draw will be crucial!!

  1. Gary O’Shea 23-02-0 peg 94
  2. Lee Werret 20-0-0 peg 59
  3. An-Ton Page 15-08-0 peg 118
  4. Mark Brennan 14-09-0 peg 119
  5. Richard Ahearn 13-02-0 peg 111
  6. Craig Edmonds 13-0-0 peg 102

No comments: