Friday 25 July 2014

Avon Angling Open, Landsend, Wednesday 23rd July 2014

Only 9 fishing today, so at least I couldn't draw lake 3.  21 was my home for the day and there were half a dozen cruisers on the surface when I arrived. Simple approach, pellet and paste, I didn't push a pole over and plumb up the far side, so as not to disturb the cruisers, likewise I didn't put my nets in.  All to no avail as the cruisers disappeared instantly I pushed the pole past 10m, the bright sun obviously aiding their visibility.

The match was a struggle, I had expected to catch from the island and this just didn't happen, the full depth rig at the bottom of the far shelf was equally as non productive, so I chopped up some meat and started a meat line, this produced one skimmer and one carp, I could hear plenty of splashing from the far side and could see Tony Rixon regularly netting fish. So after 2 1/2 hours I had a walk round the lake and it was fairly obvious the north bank was fishing much better than the south bank.

Back to my peg and I had two fish in two put ins from the island and that was it, nothing else from there all day, unless you count a 2oz roach on pellet.  I persisted with a short paste line and had 4 or 5 skimmers and a couple more carp from it, putting 54.14 on the scales, which was a poor weight, but the top 3 and the top silver weight all came from the north bank, so maybe it was just one of those days.

1:  Tony Rixon 163.12 peg 8
2:  Andy Hembrow   119.05 peg 11
3:  Steve Seager 102.15 peg 2
4:  Paul Attwood,  77.8 peg 19
5:  Phil Harding 68.08 peg 24
6:  Chris Fox  54.14 peg 21

Silvers:

Martin Alexander 34.08 peg 5

No comments: